This Polar Vantage Evaluate seems intimately at each the Vantage M and Vantage V fashions. Each are full of a lot of true sports-related capabilities and market-leading improvements.
While the Vantage fashions do have sensible talents deliberate, their primary focus will all the time be that of a multi-sport/operating watch. The Polar Vantage V is a alternative for the Polar V800 and thus competes with the Suunto 9 and Fenix 5/5 Plus/935 vary.
The Polar Vantage M is a decrease priced and absolutely featured operating/multi-sport watch which is an improve for Polar M400/M430 house owners but in addition the direct competitors to the Suunto Spartan Coach, Garmin’s 735XT and Coros Tempo,
Polar’s realise that they’ll by no means match Garmin on the full variety of sensible, non-sport options provided. They aim the wants/options of the ‘pro’ market (aka Elite+Age Group athletes) by management in chosen areas of product competency. Particularly:
- High quality hardware, good aesthetics;
- An athlete-focussed platform (FLOW – app/net);
- Deep integration with Operating Energy;
- Superior coaching load & restoration;
- The greatest wrist based mostly optical HR sensor (Precision Prime); and
- Correct GPS/GNSS.
- 1 Polar Vantage V Assessment, Polar Vantage M Assessment
- 2 Exercise Screens
- 3 third Social gathering Sensors, Polar Sensors
- 4 Battery Points
- 5 Barometer, Altimeter
- 6 GPS / GNSS
- 7 Technical Specs
- 8 Run Utilization
- 9 Bike Utilization
- 10 Swim Utilization
- 11 Health club / Weights Utilization
- 12 Triathlon / Duathlon / Brick Utilization
- 13 Different Utilization
- 14 Coaching Load – V & M
- 15 Cardio Load Standing
- 16 Restoration Professional – V Solely
- 17 Coaching Plans – Operating
- 18 Coaching Plans – Scheduling with the Season Planner
- 19 Coaching Plans – Scheduling Favorite Exercises
- 20 Coaching Plans – Creating Exercises
- 21 Worth, Availability & Low cost
Polar Vantage V Assessment, Polar Vantage M Assessment
I’ve been utilizing the Vantage since September 2018 and, due to prolonged sporting journeys, have over 100 hours of utilization with them. A lot of that hands-on time was with beta units which have been usually strong. This evaluation attracts on that have however is predicated on remaining manufacturing software program. Will probably be up to date all through 2018/19.
I had a few conferences with Polar in addition to and e mail exchanges and my opinions on this evaluate move from these conferences and from my time with the product(s).
For as soon as this can be a product that’s focused at ‘me’ the athlete, which I’m stupidly enthusiastic about. Wouldn’t it make ME change from a Garmin 935 or Suunto 9?
This can be a lengthy assessment. There’s EVEN MORE element within the quite a few hyperlinks in most of the following chapters to different detailed Polar Vantage posts. Now’s your probability to skip ahead to the part(s) that curiosity you. In any other case, seize a latte and a biscuit, sit again, and benefit from the journey.
You get the watch and a bespoke USB charger. In addition to quite a few bits of paper you might also get the Polar H10 chest strap in case you purchased that in a bundle with the Polar Vantage V.
Additionally included is a free iOS/Android app; an internet dashboard referred to as Polar FLOW; and desktop syncing software program referred to as Polar FLOWSYNC.
In a nutshell: these are two new Polar watches quite than incremental updates to the V800/M430
- Polar Precision Prime is a super-impressive wanting optical coronary heart fee providing that helps swimming. It accommodates improvements that embrace the power to compensate for the HR sign high quality, work throughout many sports activities varieties and enhance the accuracy by post-processing the HR recording. It’s made by Polar (not Valencell or anyone else)
- Polar now give Vantage V house owners a operating energy determine which doesn’t want another sensor. This leverages the Vantage V’s inner barometer.
- Operating energy zones, and different running-with-power options, are supported by way of exterior pods by each Vantage fashions and by Polar’s personal energy calculations on the V.
- Full-screen knowledge fields: There’s a new full-screen knowledge area for energy, altitude, or HR.
- There’s a new USB charging cradle.
- There are prolonged coaching load metrics and insights for each Vantage fashions and additional RECOVERY insights for the Vantage V. The physiological algorithms are made by Polar (not Firstbeat)
- The new tremendous low-powered GPS+GLONASS chip is made by Sony (in all probability CXD5603GF just like the Suunto 9 and Coros Apex) and allows a superior battery life with out needing a big battery.
- There’s new COACH performance which supplies season planning for athletes and coaches. This additional integrates with Polar’s present talents to create a number of complicated exercise varieties.
- Navigation performance is lacking as of 26Oct2018 however is on the official roadmap for Q1.2019 and route steerage is already listed formally as a product function on Polar.com.
Take Out: There’s some previous stuff lacking that was on the V800 however there’s loads of new stuff. There are a number of gaps round navigation and some peripheral gaps somewhere else like not with the ability to use energy zones for complicated structured exercises.
In a nutshell: the Vantage M differs from the Vantage V as a result of it has: a shorter battery life; no onboard operating energy meter; and fewer of the peripheral stuff which may rely as ‘minor feature’ to some (and a ‘key pro feature’ to others).
Let’s take a look at that in additional element:
- 40-hour battery life for the Polar Vantage V and 30 hours for the Polar Vantage M – every clearly has greater than sufficient juice for an Ironman. Maybe sufficient for many extremely runners? And sure that’s full GPS and per second recording with oHR.
- The Vantage V has a barometer which is used as an enter into the onboard operating energy meter
- The Vantage V has a touchscreen. Nevertheless, buttons can carry out nearly each motion besides scrolling by way of the high-level watch-face screens. The touchscreen is disabled when executing a exercise.
- Operating Energy – STRYD/RunScribe compatibility is sustained IN BOTH VANTAGE MODELS. BUT, to save lots of you shopping for a type of third get together models the Vantage V has a built-in energy meter…extra information right here
- Solely the Vantage V has Restoration Professional which seems at every day restoration in addition to nicely as your stability between coaching stress and the restoration from it. (Polar H10 required for Orthostatic check inputs). M & V each have Coaching Load Professional which encompasses the load out of your exercises based mostly on HR (Cardio load utilizing TRIMP); the sports-specific bodily masses positioned in your muscle tissue throughout exercises (Muscle Load – measured by energy in operating and biking); and your Perceived Load (like RPE).
- Coaching Load LEVELS are additionally produced and it seems to be like these are utilized in an adaptive method – nonetheless based mostly on TRIMP but in addition in your current exercise performances.
- A few of the new metrics launched are comparable with these from Firstbeat eg Cardio Load Standing. Nevertheless, different insights like Damage Danger are progressive and typically helpful.
- The Vantage M has simply 22mm interchangeable straps.
Take Out: The Vantage V and Vantage M fashions are greater than sufficiently differentiated for my part. The cheaper Vantage M has a LOT of sports activities performance and, I think, will probably be nice for many runners and triathletes. I can fortunately use the M mannequin with STRYD and the one very slight purpose I choose the V can be for its barely higher development high quality and button-feel. Restoration Professional can be helpful for athletes who presently don’t contemplate restoration or who use third get together restoration metrics.
In a nutshell: the Vantage V has a barely larger high quality development and a touchscreen. The Vantage M has interchangeable straps
This part appears on the exterior design of the watch and the outside choices you might have when shopping for it eg colors.
Detailed Technical Specs: hyperlink to: the5krunner.com
Polar Vantage Aesthetics – Opinion
I just like the aesthetics. The 10, or so, individuals who I confirmed the Vantages to commented positively on the Vantages’ appears.
I’d say it has “gender-neutral, sporty prettiness”. Very PC.
Polar Vantage Physique
The Polar Vantage V has a premium development of chrome steel and gorilla glass whereas the Vantage M is a lighter ‘plastic’ development however with a metallic bezel.
Each have a 46mm dia face and a usable display measurement of about 31mm dia.
The Vantage M could be very mild at 45g and the Vantage V nonetheless mild at 66g – sure the cheaper mannequin is lighter.
The rear sees the impressive-looking Precision Prime optical coronary heart price sensor array. The four silver discs act as each a charging connection and a sensor to know how well-fitted the Vantage is in your wrist. You already know what all of the LEDs do and that extra LEDs and extra colors may imply a greater sign. Extra on that later.
Polar Vantage Straps
Every watch physique is just obtainable in a single measurement, nevertheless, there are totally different strap size choices S-M for wrist 130-185 mm; M-L: 155-210 mm
- Vantage M : Sizes S-M : Color choices black, pink, or white straps
- Vantage M : Sizes M-L : Color choices black, white, or pink straps.
- Vantage M : Recycled PET, interchangeable 22mm accent bands : Color choices white melange, orange and petrol
- Vantage V : Sizes M-L : Color choices black, white, or orange straps.
- Vantage V : Measurement S : Further $/Eu9.90
The Vantage M bands are simply interchanged for ‘fashion’ functions (@$/Eu29.90). The Vantage V band could be modified in a ‘it broke’ state of affairs.
Polar Vantage Show & Interplay
Each fashions have 5 button operation however the Vantage V additionally has a touchscreen which is disabled throughout train. There’s, virtually all the time, a button various that exists to the touchscreen. The 240x240px display is all the time on and there’s a wrist-twist activated backlight. Typically the backlight is slightly too dim for me and the font measurement for the suggestions like from the Restoration Professional is sort of small.
The 5 button-based interplay works very nicely. There’s logic to how the interface works and that logic additionally minimises in-sport errors from miss-presses.
The high-level abstract screens are: exercise historical past; exercise – steps & energy; coaching standing; and coronary heart price, and can all be clicked for extra detailed information on every of these areas.
The backside left button brings up necessary sport-related performance the place you: choose a sport profile; carry out an orthostatic check (waking HRV check, Vantage V solely with H10/H7); or take a look at choices for you and your watch. Extra complicated configuration of, for instance, a sports activities profile is carried out in Polar FLOW.
Present Polar customers will turn out to be shortly accustomed to how Polar has structured the watch’s interface.
Some Polar Vantage house owners will need a number of watch faces. At present, that selection is restricted to 2: digital and analog. The doubtless enlargement of what’s provided right here shall be by including totally different CONTENT to those watch faces quite than by permitting new watch faces or color customisability of watch faces.
All of it works nicely and I’m pleased. If I needed to be important I might say that the watch display; sport profiles; and the small print under every abstract display all have a fairly totally different feel and appear to one another. To the purpose the place they seem like designed by totally different individuals. It doesn’t hassle me within the slightest. It’s just a bit uncommon, quirky perhaps. I like quirky.
These are a few of the on-watch screens that you will notice outdoors of a exercise. So right here we see a number of the higher-level coaching standing screens, the orthostatic check outcomes and exercise standing screens. Additionally proven are a number of the screens you see earlier than and after a exercise.
Take Out: It’s all good sufficient and I don’t assume notably higher or worse than discovered on different merchandise.
Earlier than taking a look at a few of the pages you may see while exercising let’s take a fast step again to FLOW the place you configure your exercise screens for these all-important exercises.
It’s an virtually de-facto normal throughout many spherical watches which you could comfortably have as much as four knowledge fields per display – Polar does this too. Polar additionally lets you’ve 10 (ten) screens per sport, which is greater than sufficient. Maybe extra apparently there’s a new sort of ‘GRAPH’ full-screen knowledge subject.
Listed here are pictures of these screens from FLOW proven on the Vantage.
The full-screen GRAPH is accessible to point out; energy, elevation and HR. Whereas the Zone Pointer is simply out there for HR. It’s also possible to show the clock face throughout a exercise and there’s an intriguing ‘Interval Timer’ choice (not proven, not but working 26Oct2018 – to be added in function launch 2).
Take Out: It’s all fairly and readable with LOTS of knowledge choices to show on plenty of screens.
In a nutshell: Polar FLOW is arguably, and with caveats, the perfect platform for athletes by any sports activities watch producer.
The FLOW app and on-line FLOW dashboard are good. FLOW doesn’t look fairly as slick, trendy and fancy as Garmin Join however FLOW might be better-geared in the direction of your system admin and post-exercise stats than Garmin Join. FLOW merely has LESS gumph and muddle to deal with. Each are good however, as an ‘athlete’, I’ve a slight private choice to FLOW. On the similar time if you wish to do DEEP analyses of your exercises then neither Garmin Join nor Polar FLOW has what you want and you’ll take your knowledge elsewhere.
That is NOT a evaluate of Polar FLOW however Polar FLOW *IS* an essential a part of what you’re shopping for in to. So I’ll spotlight some key factors for these of you considering of switching to Polar, particularly as a result of there look like commonly-held views that Polar lack sure forms of exercise performance.
Polar FLOW App
Let’s begin with some chosen photographs from FLOW for Android; iOS is very comparable.
These few slides shortly offer you reassurance that Polar FLOW has actual substance.
Polar FLOW On-line
There IS extra performance out there on-line than on the app, together with season planning, exercise creation and exercise scheduling.
Polar FLOW’s dashboard seems to be fairly easy at first look however, as you’ll be able to see from the pictures under, there’s a WEALTH of data and private understanding available if you discover deeper.
Present Polar customers MAY not see these screens till a Vantage is linked to their account.
Take Out: I’ll maintain it easy. FLOW is a complete platform for athletes. I might undoubtedly advocate the FLOW platform.
I’ll cowl a number of the inner technical elements and exterior sensors that the Vantages can hyperlink to. Exactly how a few of these perform could also be essential for a way YOU exercise.
third Social gathering Sensors, Polar Sensors
Both Vantage mannequin helps Bluetooth SMART sensors and the next are ALL equally supported by BOTH Vantage fashions: dual-sided bike energy meter (eg ASSIOMA); dual-sided operating energy meter (ie RunScribe); coronary heart fee screens; cadence sensors; velocity+distance+incline sensor; and footpods.
- Polar will now NEVER help ANT+. Let’s transfer on. Most of you’ll have dual-band sensors in any case. I do.
- By default, GNSS (GPS+GLONASS) is the supply of tempo and distance. An lively and paired footpod makes no distinction until GPS is turned off within the sports activities profile. THIS IS NOT HOW IT SHOULD WORK IMO.
- A footpod will NOT be the supply of PACE/SPEED for the Vantage V energy calculation.
- STRYD/Runscribe are all the time the supply of energy and in addition work on treadmills.
- An influence meter calibration icon seems on the sports activities profile earlier than you begin the exercise. It’s a neat place to simply allow PM calibration with out having annoying/helpful calibration prompts popping up.
- The H10 chest strap does cache exercise HR knowledge capabilities (solely by way of BEAT app for now although). At present, the Vantage has no strategy to retrieve such knowledge.
- A number of third social gathering sensors of the identical sort may be saved in a ‘sensor pool’. I didn’t see what occurs if two of the identical sort are current and lively.
- Twin-sided sensors just like the ASSIOMA bike energy meter can typically be paired as two separate sensors slightly than by way of a single ‘master’. Pair to a single Unified BLE channel, if obtainable.
- Any Bluetooth SMART chest strap ought to pair. IIRC from the V800, Polar treats RR knowledge specifically and solely accepts it from a Polar HRM ie the H7 or H10. RR/HRV knowledge is certainly utilized by the Vantage within the Orthostatic exams. I might be stunned if RR beats will not be recorded throughout exercises and sync’d via FLOW – though when subsequently exporting type FLOW there isn’t a assure that HRV knowledge might be despatched (not examined).
- While the Vantage fashions have firmware up to date by way of FLOWSYNC or the FLOW app, Polar BLE sensors just like the H10 want firmware updating by way of the Polar BEAT app. The BEAT app also can allow choices for Polar sensors like, for instance, enabling the H10 to concurrently ACTIVELY PAIR to 2 receiving units or enabling the H10 to cache exercise knowledge for the FLOW app.
Official Compatibility with third Celebration Sensors is right here: hyperlink to Polar.com
Battery life is excellent at 30 hours of GPS recording time with oHR and per second operating for the Vantage M. It’s 40 hours for the Vantage V. That’s sufficient for the overwhelming majority of athletes.
The battery life might be prolonged through the use of a chest strap. It might be additional prolonged should you turned off GNSS/GPS in FLOW on your sports activities profile. There isn’t any lowered GPS/GNSS replace frequency choice. Keep in mind that the GNSS chip IS usually an enormous energy shopper however the brand new SONY GPS chip is frugal with its battery necessities. So I’m unsure if there are materials positive aspects in battery life to be achieved by turning it off. Perhaps an additional hour or so is perhaps a great guess.
Each Vantage fashions have an altimeter and may give you altitude/elevation. Nevertheless, the Vantage M derives that from 3D GPS+GLONASS positioning whereas the Vantage V additionally makes use of a barometer.
GPS / GNSS
The new Sony Chip is all the time GPS+GLONASS. GPS could be turned off both within the sport (by way of FLOW) or by selecting an indoor sports activities profile. This can enhance battery life.
Predictive A-GPS is utilized by the Vantage to get an preliminary repair – that is NOT uncommon. Nevertheless, the Vantage does appear just a little sluggish to me, typically taking greater than a minute to get a lock (underneath investigation Nov2018).
Full, comparative, Polar Vantage technical specs and additional commentary are given on this hyperlink, handily in comparison with the V800 and M430 in case you have been considering of upgrading.
Polar Vantage M Vantage V, V800 M430 Specs Comparability
I’ll cowl the primary triathlon sub-sports plus weights, looking at a number of the practicalities and niceties of utilizing the Vantage in every sport. ‘Special Features’ of the Vantage are coated in subsequent sections
Both Vantage is very appropriate as a runner’s watch. Until you’re coaching 5/6 days/week or need an inbuilt energy meter, then the Vantage M might be completely wonderful. Certainly the lighter weight and lower cost of the Vantage M shall be a clincher for a lot of.
Vibrations and audible alert ranges are enough for the aim when operating. Vibration suggestions can moreover be disabled. The Vantage V additionally permits sound to be disabled or 1 of three quantity settings chosen. The M doesn’t have sounds though the vibration is faintly audible. Listed here are another operating options that shall be key to a few of you and unimportant to others:
- There’s a ‘tap the watch’ function which triggers a guide lap on the Vantage V’s touchscreen. That’s a lot simpler than urgent a button. It typically wants extra of a whack.
- Autopause might be disabled or set to a tempo of your selection for it to kick in.
- Predefined or freeform Zones may be set for HR, velocity/tempo and energy.
- Zone Lock just isn’t out there on the Vantage till Spring 2019 (you’d usually press and maintain the START button to activate HR/tempo Zone Lock on the V800).
- Coaching reminder – for instance on a marathon you may set a reminder to inform you to drink or eat at sure occasions/distances with out triggering a LAP occasion. This isn’t (but) supported on Vantage.
Operating on a treadmill with POWER from the Vantage V’s algorithm might be problematic because the algorithm at present requires GPS. ie the Vantage V at present gained’t produce Energy on a treadmill even when you have a traditional footpod. Nevertheless, STRYD or RunScribe will work with both Vantage on a treadmill to supply energy, velocity and distance. Polar ought to permit non-power footpods to be an enter to their very own energy calculation, even when solely to make it extra correct!
Laps and auto-laps work nicely. Polar treats phases of coaching/guide laps and auto laps in another way and may document two layers of ‘laps/phases’ – that’s totally different/higher to how Garmin works. Move additional permits custom lap distances to be seen on FLOW.
All knowledge metrics that I often use can be found. Some seem lacking like LAST LAP.
When operating outside with GPS, the moment tempo that’s proven is considerably variable to the purpose the place it might’t be relied on (widespread throughout many manufacturers), though upon getting progressed by means of a lap/autolap then the lap/autolap tempo turns into correct.
When biking, a watch is greatest worn both on the handlebars or on the underside of your wrist. In both of these situations the oHR won’t work (properly or under no circumstances) and the GPS antennae can be dealing with the mistaken’ means. Certainly a watch is NOT nice to take a look at when the textual content is comparatively small and if you end up going at some velocity. Thus a bigger, handlebar mounted biking gadget is all the time a greater choice for frequent cyclists.
Nevertheless, for infrequent or non-competitive use, a wristwatch is completely positive.
The similar kinds of sports activities performance can be found as with operating.
We’ll see later that oHR accuracy is decreased when biking on bumpier roads however good for turbo coach modes.
While ‘Route Guidance’ isn’t initially obtainable I might think about that, when obtainable and while biking, will probably be tough to make use of due to the small display and a scarcity of turn-by-turn directions.
Most knowledge metrics that I might use can be found, the necessary ones can be found.
OWS swim utilization seems completely positive with the Vantage (not but examined). We’ll take a look at OWS GNSS accuracy later.
Pool Swimming performance can also be good. We’ll take a look at POOL oHR accuracy later.
The Vantage lacks a few of the extra peripheral swimming performance when in comparison with Garmin’s pool swimming providing. The means to deal with drill lengths (I don’t use that) and the power to deal with presenting knowledge in relaxation durations between units (I do use that) will not be offered on the Vantage. Stroke fee, SWOLF, stroke sort and the like are proven on FLOW – for those who can;t see that knowledge attempt the POOL SWIM sports activities profile subsequent time 😉
Polar’s lack of relaxation interval stats actually will make about zero distinction to me utilizing the Vantage much more in 2019. So it has all I want for swimming. One additional bonus over the Suunto is that the Vantage is much less chunky and fewer likley to catch a wetsuit.
Health club / Weights Utilization
The flexibility of the WEIGHT/GYM sports activities profiles is considerably restricted. There are higher apps and watches if the health club is your factor that you simply take critically…I don’t. Such apps can rely reps and guess on the train you’re performing.
I used the STRENGTH TRAINING profile a couple of occasions and nothing was recorded aside from HR and therefore cardio load was additionally recorded which, by definition, can be low. No muscle load figures have been recorded in FLOW..
Triathlon / Duathlon / Brick Utilization
Plenty of non-serious, non-data-driven triathletes will discover both Vantage watch completely high-quality for triathlon.
For a choose few, nevertheless, some essential however area of interest performance is lacking right here.
IMHO, Polar want so as to add further sports activities profiles that help prolonged coaching bricks and fewer regular multisport occasions like Otillo, Pool Triathlon, swim/aqua-bike and aquathlon. Pool triathlons are widespread, all triathletes do brick periods and superior multisport athletes do Otillo. Even AquaBike is now an ITU Age Group occasion.
Having stated that, the Vantage has a generic ‘MultiSport’ profile and that EASILY permits consecutive sports activities to be manually chosen. That’s OK for coaching however not when racing.
NB: A knowledge-driven, age-group triathlete can be extra more likely to ALSO use a biking particular pc for the bike leg. The triathlon watch then turns into relegated to merely a exercise logger while biking (that’s completely OK, I do this). Polar H10 particularly helps this utilization. I should check if a Vantage paired to a H10 data oHR within the OWS swim leg of a race.
Utilizing ZWIFT concurrently logging the identical session on any Bluetooth watch will probably be problematic as POWER METER sensors won’t transmit BLE for the Vantage and BLE for ZWIFT. In case your sensors additionally transmit ANT+ then you’ll be able to seize that for Zwift by way of a BLE dongle, while the Vantage takes the only BLE sign for itself. Polar’s H10 will, almost certainly, help HR for each Vantage & Zwift – not examined.
The Polar Vantage has a number of ‘special’ options. To me plenty of these are WOWs. However I absolutely recognize a few of you may be extra within the ‘meh’ camp. Every to their very own.
Polar’s implementation of Operating Energy is superior in lots of respects (besides that elements of it proven on FLOW usually are not working at launch on the Vantage!). For me, RUNNING POWER is likely one of the causes I’m planning to make use of the Vantage critically in 2019.
In a nutshell: Each Vantage fashions help exterior operating energy meters. The Vantage V additionally calculates energy on the wrist when you favor that choice. Operating energy is dealt with natively with separate operating zones and operating energy alerts (by way of Zone Lock in 2019).
Polar has achieved the unthinkable right here. They’ve launched two Vantage fashions and but BOTH help energy. It’s uncommon that the ‘lower’ mannequin would additionally get energy help. So this deserves a particular thumbs up for Polar.
This may backfire on Polar (albeit in a pleasant means) in that I might plan to proceed my use of STRYD however with the cheaper, LIGHTER Polar Vantage M. The Vantage M does every little thing I want it to and would simply final for an Ironman distance race. Thus, cleverly, Polar supply a decrease value watch-upgrade to present customers of RunScribe Plus and STRYD who need probably higher, native energy integration.
On the similar time in the event you don’t have already got a operating energy meter then you may go for the top-end Vantage V mannequin. That makes use of an algorithm and inputs from its inbuilt barometer to provide you with Polar’s model of energy.
Native help for operating energy just isn’t at present provided by Garmin eg Garmin doesn’t have energy zones for operating.
Operating energy ‘just works’ on the Vantage V, there isn’t any want so as to add apps or additional knowledge fields so as to hyperlink to sensors. Operating energy knowledge fields are already constructed into FLOW/VANTAGE and are simply chosen.
Polar has separated out operating energy zones from biking energy zones, which was beforehand a problem ie the two units of zones are separate and dealing each on FLOW and the watch.
Polar’s energy zones for operating are both custom-defined or based mostly on MAP, which is similar to FTP and FTP is used for biking energy zones.
Energy alerts will come when Polar implement the Zone Lock settings (2019) – the Zone Lock choice initially appeared in FLOW however just isn’t at present enabled on VANTAGE.
Operating Energy : Polar Vantage M, Polar Vantage V
Take Out: As soon as Zone lock is enabled VANTAGE/FLOW will probably be a superb platform for operating with energy. In all probability the most effective one. In the long run Movement would additional profit from CP-related analyses and operating energy coaching packages – in actuality, these two areas might be low on the present precedence record of latest performance.
If seems have been something to go by then the Precision Prime array on the rear of the Vantage would clearly be one of the best on the planet.
The headline design parts are 5 GREEN mild LEDs and four RED mild LEDs making a complete of 9 LEDs and it seems to be like there are four or 5 sensors that obtain the sunshine again. Properly-spaced, multi-coloured LEDs ought to give the potential for an correct sensor (see accuracy part later). This is identical sensor on every of the Vantage fashions.
Nevertheless, Polar has taken oHR tech a number of steps additional:
- The four metallic sensors on the rear are how the gadget is charged however additionally they double-up as sensors to find out pores and skin contact. I’ve quite a few non-Polar units that fireplace away endlessly with the optical HR unit once I’m not sporting it. Polar flip it off inside a couple of seconds of the system being eliminated out of your wrist. This each saves battery and in addition minimises the danger of the Vantage looking for a HR sign within the ether (they typically do)
- The high quality of contact and different elements are utilized by Polar to find out the standard of the oHR studying they’ve made and exhibited to you. Submit-processing of the HR by the Vantage will then additionally enhance the HR monitor for if you get again residence to load it as much as your favorite evaluation platform.
- The Vantage delivers 24×7 HR by means of Precision Prime, this may be disabled.
Polar has now joined Suunto (NOT Garmin) by enabling optical HR while swimming. The outcomes are usually not good and the system must be worn particularly tightly. Nevertheless, Polar are assured that oHR from swimming can nonetheless make a significant enter right into a triathlete’s general coaching load (I agree).
For the Orthostatic check to work on the Vantage V (not M) you will have a Polar H7 or Polar H10 chest strap. Nothing else will work. With out that, Polar’s Restoration Professional won’t work absolutely.
The V800 might present stay HR while swimming by way of the 5KHz sign from a chest strap however word that the 5KHz sign can by no means work with the Vantage. As an alternative, you employ oHR or cache a separate HR monitor by way of the Polar OH1.
A few of these themes are expanded upon in additional element by way of this linked publish.
Polar Vantage M & V – Precision Prime oHR – A Detailed Look and different new HR tidbits
Take Out: The idea of Precision Prime is sensible and, dare I say, virtually breath-taking in some elements of its novelty. I used to be tremendous impressed by the idea. All it has to do now’s ship the outcomes.
I’ve been utilizing near-identical ideas to elements of Coaching Load/Restoration Professional for a number of years and the next is predicated on: my historic information of comparable ideas; my time with the Vantage; AND info from Polar. Right here goes…
Amongst different issues, Coaching Load and Restoration Professional boil right down to answering “How exhausting can I practice at present?“
On the one hand Coaching Load supplies a holistic view of the coaching stresses to your physique and, then again, Restoration Professional is making a view on how nicely you could have recovered from these stresses. These two are then introduced collectively and you’re given actionable, personalised suggestions.
By taking a look at tendencies of the underlying knowledge you’ll be able to guarantee that you’re regularly and progressively stressing your physique AND additionally figuring out danger elements in your coaching the place the state of your physique may make it extra vulnerable to damage/sickness.
Polar will provide you with suggestions to all of this in ‘Plain English’ in your watch/app in addition to giving the inquisitive amongst you the power to delve deeper into the small print on Polar FLOW.
If you wish to delve deeper you then may need to perceive all the data within the following part. If not, skip the remainder of this part NOW and do what the watch tells you to 😉
Let’s begin with some phrases…
Polar’s Complete Coaching Load is three algorithms that are based mostly on cardio load, muscle load and perceived load
The inputs come from: coronary heart fee knowledge from exercises; energy knowledge from energy meters; and subjective suggestions on the watch by you after exercises.
The Restoration Professional algorithm provides suggestions in your load and in your recovered state. It’s based mostly on waking HRV (Orthostatic) exams and subjective suggestions in your sleep high quality, muscle soreness and general fatigue.
The coronary heart fee knowledge from exercises and coronary heart price (HRV) knowledge from Orthostatic checks are the elemental conditions for Coaching Load and Restoration Professional respectively. All the opposite elements refine Polar’s algorithms slightly than being important for them to work.
Coaching Load – V & M
Your Complete Coaching Load is predicated on Muscle Load, Cardio Load and Perceived Load. Every of those three elements are rated on a scale of 1 to five.
Let’s look in additional element on the constituent elements of coaching load.
Muscle load is measured within the sense that it’s derived from ‘power’ knowledge that you simply may need out there from operating and biking.
It is going to be proven in numerous locations AFTER your exercises reminiscent of in a exercise abstract on the watch or on the exercise abstract in Circulate.
Muscle load may ALSO seem in FLOW when it may be based mostly on biomechanical formulae, probably after weights periods. Though I’ve not seen that behaviour after the weights periods I carried out.
My understanding is that it isn’t absolutely the energy degree that’s essential however quite relative ranges over time – thus it doesn’t matter which POWER supply you’ve gotten ….so long as you all the time have the identical supply.
Perceived Load is optionally estimated by you and entered manually on FLOW. I assume the next calculations are based mostly on RPE-TRIMP.
From my information of ‘normal’ TRIMP: regular TRIMP falls over considerably when taking a look at group sports activities and weights. I consider RPE TRIMP is utilized by Polar to fill the hole left by regular TRIMP as clearly such sports activities DO place a load on the physique although your HR could also be low. Firstbeat do one thing comparable for staff sports activities.
Polar cite McGuigan (2004), Lagally (2002), Soligard (2016)
Cardio Load is an important LOAD of the three. Fortunately for endurance athletes it’s simply measured, well-understood and there are extensively used implementations of this based mostly on TRIMP. I’ve used TRIMP for a few years.
You will notice Cardio Load because the pink dots on exercise summaries and in your Vantage (proven above) and on the high-level calendar view in FLOW.
It’s value wanting into CARDIO LOAD & TRIMP just a little extra as it’s utilized by Polar for a number of various things.
Cardio Load is the measured type of TRIMP based mostly on a weighted common of time in coronary heart price zones – eg three minutes in zone 5 is value much more TRIMP factors than from three minutes in zone 2. Polar informed me that their algorithm additionally appears at Cardio Load in relative phrases to your exercises within the final 90 days.
This chart on FLOW has a vertical RED BAR representing TRIMP factors based mostly on my coronary heart charges for every exercise. Polar use HR assessed by way of HRmax, HRrest and age – so they’re essential to be right. Cardio Load is NOT based mostly in your freeform HR zones (which I feel is incorrect, however there we go).
Then my pressure/fatigue is the purple line (7-day m.avg TRIMP) and my tolerance/health because the blue line (28-day m.avg TRIMP). Usually you need the blue line to development upwards. When the blue line is larger than the purple line there’s a great probability of higher performances; certainly within the interval (26Sep-4Oct), above, I did three power-duration PBs. That is (successfully) the identical as CTL/ATL/TSB which is extensively used elsewhere.
Comparable Cardio Load info is out there on the FLOW app.
Full Coaching Load
Nevertheless, as we’ve already stated, Cardio Load is just not the complete image of your Coaching Load
Under we see the outcomes of the complete load calculation. This cardio load standing curve is just like the cardio load buildup from above.
Cardio Load Standing
This can be a easy calculation of pressure/tolerance (or fatigue/health). Polar current this info in your watch color coded based mostly on the next scale.
I used to be just lately VERY NAUGHTY and virtually managed to interrupt the Cardio Load Standing dial…virtually. However not fairly. And sure you do win a prize for those who share a picture under displaying over 1.7 AND you not being injured 😉
You scroll down on the watch to a plain English description of what your present standing means and what to do about it.
Cardio Load Standing – Damage Danger
A element of the Cardio Load Standing is your damage danger standing. It’s the identical calculation as for Cardio Load Standing, it’s simply that when the Cardio Load Standing outcome exceeds 1.5 you’re within the ‘Injury Risk Danger Zone’ (Gabbett, 2016).
This simply means that you’re given an extra, modified warning in your elevated probability of damage. From my private expertise with the TRIMP-based metrics, I’d say that it might be clever to be aware of such a warning.
Restoration Professional – V Solely
Restoration Professional is simply obtainable on the Vantage V.
The key items of actionable information you get are your day by day perception to your restoration standing which features a short-term and long-term element in plain English. See the picture to the best with short-term restoration on the prime and longterm restoration beneath. Additional under that is a sign of the accuracy of the info underlying the suggestions.
There are three inputs to Restoration Professional. Firstly there’s the quantitative knowledge from the Orthostatic check, secondly there are the qualitative responses that your give to MOOD questions every morning and thirdly the longterm cardio load standing. These are all factored in when calculating complete restoration.
The key enter into complete restoration is a fast 2 minute check, three (or extra) mornings every week. You MUST use solely a Polar H10 coronary heart fee strap (or Polar H7, nothing else). The Orthostatic check requires you to lie down for 90 seconds after which get up for 90 seconds. Straightforward. You’ll be able to even set a reminder schedule on the Vantage. Tremendous Straightforward.
The different inputs to complete restoration are your responses to questions like “How well did you sleep last night?” and “Do your muscles feel more strained than normal?”
Restoration and coaching load historical past are mixed on the gadget the place suggestions is given however there are additionally some extra fascinating insights obtainable on FLOW, similar to these:
The Orthostatic Check makes use of HRV/RMSSD/RR knowledge and IMO does an excellent job of flagging up ‘stress’. This may be stress from overloading due to an excessive amount of coaching or ‘life stress’. The two can’t be distinguished however, both method, you want to tackle the reason for hostile readings as both impacts your restoration out of your exercises.
The check outcomes are proven in your watch, as under, and schematically on the picture to the suitable.
On FLOW you’ll get these outcomes trending over time, like this:
I’ve a nagging doubt that the RMSSD knowledge might have been higher introduced in FLOW. Nevertheless it DOES do the job.
Restoration Professional Icons
Polar have realised the complexity of a few of this info and have improved a number of the suggestions with, for instance, visitors lighting in your watch within the day by day suggestions display.
After three or four checks and temper inputs you need to begin to get extra correct suggestions however over eight checks in 28 days are required for full accuracy. One in every of these colored icons (to proper) will seem in your watch’s foremost display with a plain English rationalization.
If you actually need extra knowledge factors then an asterisk will seem on the icon, as proven under
Take Out: There seems to be some actually superior stuff right here however don’t get too slowed down by the small print. The awesomeness of it’s considerably let down by the interface to the outcomes. However you get the hold of all of it quickly sufficient.
There are various gems hidden away on Polar’s in depth FLOW platform, these embrace: the season planner (new); complicated WORKOUT creation; and adaptive TRAINING PLANS (operating).
Coaching Plans – Operating
Polar’s present adaptive coaching packages for 5k to 42okay are sync’d by means of to the Vantage. I didn’t check these to completion with the Vantage however they appear to work. The ‘race time’ goal for the top of the plan appears believable.
Clear omissions are POWER based mostly operating plans and biking plans
Coaching Plans – Scheduling with the Season Planner
For these of us who comply with our personal plans or who need a coach to do it for us, the season planner shall be a neat and useful gizmo.
I’ve solely had a fast play with the season planner for an hour and it’s a highly effective device and straightforward to make use of.
On the overview degree, it’s a spreadsheet-like software to stability and construction the varied elements/themes of your coaching over the yr. Within the above instance, this might be the place you propose your straightforward weeks, arduous weeks, base coaching and so forth.
Coaching Plans – Scheduling Favorite Exercises
You or your coach will then go on to construct the construction of every week and assign particular exercises to particular day/occasions. Should you or your coach have already got a library of such exercises (as favourites) then it’s a easy case of drag, drop and sync these pre-existing exercises to your Vantage.
Coaching Plans – Creating Exercises
Polar name the forms of particular person exercise they help: Race Tempo; Phased; Interval; Calorie; Distance ; and Period.
A few of these are DEFINITELY what others name ‘complex structured workouts’.
Creating Exercises – Particular Case: Complicated Structured intervals
These are intervals exercises the place particular phases (teams of intervals) may also be repeated. Alerts are given on the watch on the finish of phase-periods/intervals and in addition if you end up not within the right zone however keep in mind than the Vantage M has no audible alerts, so that you solely get the vibrate alert from the M – it really works nicely sufficient.
These exercises will go well with many athletes however the exercises don’t help POWER.
I’ve not examined this performance by means of to following exercises via to completion on the Vantage. ‘Test’ exercises DO sync to the Vantage and could be began. They seem to then comply with the time durations used within the creation of the custom exercise.
Creating Exercises – Particular Case: Race Tempo
One of many extra helpful ‘pro’ exercise options is ‘Race Pace’. I’ve not examined this in anger however this exercise was sync’d to the Vantage and could possibly be began.
Take Out: there’s some nice stuff right here for coaches and the extra organised amongst us who’re self-coached athletes. With just a few minor exceptions this appears like a really highly effective set of instruments for the planning and execution of (complicated) exercises.
Polar have made an enormous play about eager to be the perfect sports activities gadget for oHR and GPS accuracy. I’ve undertaken a variety of testing with each Vantage units and the detailed take a look at many respects of accuracy is linked to under. I’ll first simply summarise the variations
- Elevation Accuracy – Good
- OHR Accuracy – Nearly as good as Garmin/Suunto’s present tech and hopefully with additional enhancements to return from PRECISION PRIME. Swimming HR is included and is OK. The normal suspects have an effect on oHR accuracy particularly bumpy roads and free weights. I discovered sporting it tight and maintaining my forearms heat improved accuracy.
- GPS Accuracy – Not good on the Vantage V. Wants work.
- GPS Accuracy – Acceptably good on the Vantage M and on par with Garmin 935. Hoping for much more!
Polar Vantage M Accuracy | Polar Vantage Accuracy
Your watch syncs to iOS and Android simply sufficient and the charging cradle/disk additionally allows the PC-based FLOWSYNC to sync by way of a pc.
Totally different flavours of Android will probably have their very own connectivity nuances.
Polar now has greater than sufficient methods of getting your knowledge out of FLOW and on to some other place, most COMMONLY to STRAVA. FLOW would profit from a DROPBOX hyperlink for these of us who work with different software program reminiscent of Golden Cheetah or SportsTracks (desktop).
FLOW presently does help inbound hyperlinks of STRAVA routes and segments. Nevertheless, none of this performance is accessible to the Vantage in November 2018. Polar will introduce this in early 2019 as per their roadmap.
In contrast to with Garmin’s FIT information, Polar export operating energy or bike energy as the identical factor: ‘power’. This probably may cause points elsewhere however the different main platforms that interface with Polar now appear to know what they should do to keep away from the 2 numerous energy knowledge turning into combined collectively of their techniques.
Polar retailer autolaps and guide laps individually. It seems to me like autolaps are exported from FLOW until there are guide laps/phases current.
I’ll add fascinating tidbits right here as they arrive to my consideration
- The letters “V” and “M” don’t imply something as such (I requested). It’s only a continuation of the 2 ‘V'(800) and ‘M'(400/430) collection
- Bulk export from Move: https://flow-exporter.ddns.net
- Export from Movement (Android) http://syncmytracks.com
- Official Polar Vantage roadmap: hyperlink to polar.com
- Vantage-related Polar communications: https://www.polar.com/blog/tag/polar-vantage
- Polar help updates: https://support.polar.com/en/updates
- Vantage V vs Vantage M vs V800: hyperlink to polar.com and vs M430 and V800 hyperlink to: the5krunner.com
- 5KHz/gymlink is NOT supported
- Faucet (Vantage V) motion helps take a lap however NOT change view and backlight.
- H10 actually can ship your BLE coronary heart price concurrently to a motorcycle head unit and the Vantage.
- Customers of the Polar BALANCE Scale might want to sync weight values by way of the smartphone app NOT by way of the Vantage.
- Polar Stability will have to be used by way of FLOW ie not on to the Vantage
- Treadmill Utilization – Tempo and Cadence IS proven when operating indoors on a treadmill and is calculated from the accelerometer. A footpod will enhance accuracy. Nevertheless operating energy shouldn’t be calculated on the Vantage V – on a treadmill neither from a footpod nor from the wrist
- Footpod Utilization on a Treadmill – A Polar Stride footpod (not STRYD) exhibits tempo and cadence from the pod. Nevertheless operating energy shouldn’t be calculated on the Vantage V
- Operating Index is calculated when utilizing STRYD and GPS – wants 12 minutes of operating. This undoubtedly works within the generic RUNNING profile however different operating profiles could also be totally different.
- Vantage M & V each have vibration. Solely the V has audio alerts. Nevertheless the vibration is audible to an extent.
- Vantage M Guide – hyperlink to polar.com
- Vantage V Guide – hyperlink to polar.com
- Issues?: Reset your gadget suing the desktop FLOWSYNC. You shouldn’t lose your settings. I had a interval once I acquired loopy low oHR after a FW replace. A reset sorted it out.
Taking a look at Polar’s V800 we noticed many enhancements through the years. Usually talking, Polar invested within the product, though maybe not as shortly as some would have favored.
Polar has produced a roadmap for the Vantage and, based mostly on issues that have been hinted at in conferences with Polar, I hope and anticipate that the Vantage will see much more additions over the approaching months and years.
Smart recommendation is to purchase the Vantage based mostly on what is on the market now. However I might hope we’ll get these included sooner or later
- Extra swimming stats
- Energy-based coaching plans and exercises
- Operating dynamics from the H10
- Navigation (see roadmap)
- Retrieval of cached HR knowledge from the Polar H10 chest strap
- STRAVA integrations (see roadmap)
- Maybe even a cut-down mannequin as a extra direct alternative to the Polar M430
We’ve seen from Suunto and Garmin in recent times that they function extra of a ‘replacement’ enterprise mannequin relatively than investing in creating the sports activities watch. It’s unlikely your Vantage might be shortly outmoded, for my part. I anticipate it to be maintained and constantly improved over a number of years.
Each Vantage watches are definitely candidates for the ‘Best Triathlon Watch’ in some class based mostly on their function set. I’ve linked to an in depth submit about that under.
Each ARE correctly capable of execute help for a triathlon race and, with solely minor reservations, help you completely although your coaching. If you need a sensible watch with different fancy options (not sport associated) then there are various choices elsewhere…good luck!
▷ Greatest Triathlon Watch 2018 | Prime 10 – Tri Comparability Suggestion
Polar does lack some peripheral triathlon options that SOME of you may think about to be essential. These are
- No sport-profile help for Otillo, pool based mostly triathlons and different uncommon triathlon races (Polar’s Multisport mode DOES let you shortly change between custom sports activities)
- No prolonged brick profile run-bike-run-bike-run…and so on (Multisport mode permits you to shortly change between custom sports activities)
- No help for H10 HR knowledge cached when swimming. No help for older 5KHz underwater HR alerts. (Polar would get you to make use of oHR for swimming)
- Some swimming options like swim exercises and the power to raised handle relaxation intervals
- No ANT+ help. Most new PMs are twin band. I can solely see the Zwift state of affairs the place this might be an actual difficulty (H10 does concurrently help a head unit AND the Vantage). Sure through the use of BLE to hyperlink to a PM will lose particular ANT+ energy metrics.
- Zone lock for HR, energy and PACE/SPEED
I’ll add some extra in if I can consider them however that covers the primary ones.
Simply as with the standards for the most effective triathlon watch you’ll find a better, tech watch elsewhere. Might you discover a higher operating watch…I imply only for operating, not one of the different sensible stuff?
The Vantages tick LOTS of packing containers for the eager runner.
- Different distributors have extra physiological metrics however, to me, Polar’s Coaching Load appears ‘about right’ and doubtless higher than my present answer. Polar’s Restoration Professional additionally appears ‘about right’ and is offered inside the similar, single general system as their TRAINING LOAD – in contrast to the mechanisms I presently use.
- Footpod help,
- Operating energy help
- Polar does lack help for uncommon sensor varieties however I think none of you’ll have a muscle oxygen sensor. Aside from a temperature sensor that’s the one materials sensor lacking.
- Polar has the suitable focus, aiming for high quality sensors and high quality knowledge.
- Polar has the best metrics for coaching and efficiency, in addition to one of many higher coaching platforms (FLOW)
- The watch has the right ergonomics of a operating watch – IMO.
- Polar gives adaptive coaching plans from 5k to 42okay. These are at the least nearly as good as competitor choices from what I’ve seen up to now. I’ve not absolutely examined the coaching plans on the Vantage.
Greatest Operating Watch 2018 | Prime 10 | Information Evaluate, Suggestions & Comparisons
Polar’s notable omissions are:
- Route Steerage: Breadcrumb navigation (on the roadmap for 2019) and associated navigational features
- Favourites on the Vantage or the power to create intervals on-the-fly
- Not enabling footpod to over-ride GPS a supply of tempo/distance while nonetheless recording a GPS monitor
- Not enabling a footpod as a supply of tempo for Polar’s energy algorithm
- STRAVA stay segments
There isn’t any different ‘great’ omission simply a number of smaller ones. IE some issues like direct Polar Stability Scale compatibility and Favourites have been on the V800 however not on the Vantage. Different issues too. You’ll be able to guess that the omission of ‘X’ will, for positive, annoy somebody who will then write a remark under saying that s/he gained’t purchase the Vantage due to that. Truthful sufficient.
However in fact, these omissions MUST be balanced with a great-looking watch that does have a number of essential new bits of package (Precision PRIME, integral operating energy) and new bits of software program – Restoration Professional.
My future ‘bet’ can be that Polar will embrace virtually every thing that the V800 can do within the Vantage V.
“Exactly When?” can be a query that isn’t absolutely answered by Polar’s revealed roadmap and I don’t have any insights that I’ll share past that. I DO get the distinct impression that Vantage is strategically essential for Polar. So if Function X doesn’t seem for some time there WILL be a great cause for that.
All of the media who had a pre-release Vantage have had entry to new stuff on Polar FLOW (on-line) which present Polar customers can’t see. A few of what I’ve seen on FLOW is just not out there on the Vantage watch within the first retail firmware. Nevertheless, we should all take some consolation in that there are new options now on FLOW ready to be enabled on the Vantage
So. To reply the query “Is Polar the best running watch” then my reply would have caveats and say that “Sure, it’d turn into“. ie the V800’s accuracy and options mixed with the brand new options and new appears can be a reasonably superior package deal.
As the youngsters say, “Are we there yet?”
Polar was sort sufficient to design this look ahead to the likes of me…so I’m going to make use of it 😉
I just like the Polar Vantage a lot that I’m undoubtedly going to race with it in triathlons in 2019. I’ve solely ever beforehand used Garmin watches in triathlon/duathlon races.
No matter no matter occurs with enhancements to Precision Prime and GPS accuracy I’m all the time going to make use of STRYD and a chest strap. It’s simply the best way it’s FOR ME. The present GPS accuracy for my post-race ‘pretty route picture’ on STRAVA is ok now.
What I might personally like from Polar is energy zone lock for operating, biking and therefore triathlon and cached swim HR knowledge from the H10. What I personally NEED from Polar is a footpod to be a supply for tempo with GPS nonetheless recording – I in all probability gained’t use the Vantage with out that.
I just like the FLOW platform and may advocate it. But, my ongoing use will probably be on SportTracks three.1 and Golden Cheetah as that’s the place ALL my historic knowledge is.
My private plan for 2019 is to make use of: Polar Vantage M, Polar H10, Wahoo ELEMNT, Favero ASSIOMA Duo, STRYD.
However this evaluate can also be concerning the Polar Vantage for YOU in addition to my experiences with a product that I clearly like.
If you need the GPS accuracy of the V800 then you’ll have to wait. If you would like ROUTE GUIDANCE then you’ll have to wait. If you need the perfect oHR then as we speak’s Vantage may ship that for you however not for the individual operating subsequent to you…oHR is a fickle factor from any vendor, Polar is probably YOUR greatest probability of oHR accuracy.
In case you are a Polar-lover, trying to improve your present M430/M400 or V800 then the Vantage collection WILL be the correct choice for you sooner or later. There are many causes to improve NOW and a few causes to not…it’s your name. Hopefully, I’ve laid them out intimately so that you can make your personal determination.
In case you are new to Polar then there’s additionally a case to modify now. However clearly few individuals will change from a Garmin 935 to a Polar Vantage V.
The Vantage M makes a compelling case as one of many go-to tri watches at its price-point. Alternatively, if you’d like probably the most options then you’ll all the time get the identical Garmin that everybody else has. Contemplate the aesthetics, Polar Movement and energy help of the Vantage M earlier than making a hasty selection.
The case for the upper priced/larger featured Vantage V is trickier. On the one hand, the core sport performance in all probability does stack up fairly nicely towards the 935 (which I really like) and the Polar in all probability appears higher. Then again Polar first have to ship market-leading oHR, GNSS and a operating energy sport infrastructure (zones, zone lock, coaching plans). If they will do this shortly then the Garmin 935 does have one thing to fret about in a large chunk of its goal market. Polar have to make the argument “Quality Polar hardware and great, core features” vs “Adequate Garmin hardware and extensive features”.
This going to be a simple name for a few of you. And a thought-about name for others.
Worth, Availability & Low cost
The Polar Vantage M retails at $260/GBP250/Eur280,
The Polar Vantage V retails at $499/GBP439/Eur499
The Polar Vantage now has basic availability. There don’t appear to be widespread low cost but within the EU. I’ve included the Amazon worldwide hyperlink under however you can find a greater deal at New Operating Gear and Energy Meter Metropolis. New Operating Gear (NRG), under, have been additionally bundling in GBP50 of operating freebies. Assist help this weblog with the good offers under: