On this Mio Cyclo 605 HC Review, we take an in depth take a look at Mio’s top-end Bikenav. If you need a LARGE format bike navigation system with nearly each piece of performance AND at a wise worth then…learn on.
- 1 Mio Cyclo 605 HC – Background
- 2 Mio Cyclo 605 HC – Who’s it for?
- 3 Controls & Contact Display
- 4 Common Interface
- 5 Altitude Accuracy
- 6 GPS Accuracy
- 7 Common Platform Connectivity
- 8 Navigation Options
Mio Cyclo 605 HC – Background
Mio is a Netherlands-based producer of automotive & bike navigation merchandise in addition to automotive dashcams. The mum or dad firm is Mitac which, apparently, has a company coverage to pay truthful taxes in all areas Mio operates….in contrast to a few of its notable rivals. An trustworthy and ethical firm in at this time’s world?
Within the USA, MIO operates underneath the Magellan model. Mio now focuses the sale of CYCLO units on Eu markets the place they’re nonetheless lively.
The Mio Cyclo 605 HC is the top-end mannequin, launched in June 2017. Beforehand the top-end mannequin was the Cyclo 505 HC (reviewed right here, which I fairly favored). The Cyclo 605 HC is a revamped, prolonged and enlarged model of the 505 HC. I’ll cowl a number of the present fashions later however the 505 HC is now discontinued and the decrease mannequin is the 405 HC which is identical measurement format because the 605 HC however with barely lowered performance. Contemplating the possible measurement of Mio Cyclo’s market share, their vary appears in want of some rationalisation.
Mio Cyclo 605 HC – Who’s it for?
The Mio 605 HC has, just about, all of the potential TRAINING and NAVIGATION options you be doubtless to make use of. And I’m together with ALL the higher-end options like energy meter calibration, NP metrics, Di2, POI-navigation and surprise-me routing with TBT. Should you don’t know what these acronyms imply then I can say with close to certainty that the 605HC will do no matter you need it to;-) … and extra.
It’s additionally for somebody on the lookout for a bit-of-a-bargain. On a great day you’ll get this for beneath £300, but on that very same ‘good day‘ the comparable top-end Garmin Edge 1030 BUNDLE will set you back well over £500.
The top-end Garmin 1030 *IS* broadly comparable to the Mio Cyclo 605 HC. Although those of you who love acronyms will also know that only Garmin will support CdA and SmO2 via CIQ (more too, of course). But those of you who know that won’t be studying this evaluate, as you’ll solely ever purchase Garmin as your essential gadget.
For the remainder of you who need a full pack of coaching and navigation options at a wise worth then learn on…or skip to the chapter that the majority pursuits you (this can be a little bit of an extended assessment).
The 605 HC is absolutely full of free ANT+ sensors and mounts that, in the event that they have been made by Garmin, would value you WELL over Eu/£100.
You get a velocity sensor and a separate, magnet-less cadence sensor. You get a coronary heart price monitor and also you get a stem mount.
It’s nice that you simply don’t get a type of hard-to-fix and impossible-to-swap velocity+cadence combo sensors however not-so-great that there isn’t a out-front mount. There are different bits and items however right here’s a picture of the primary gadgets, excluding stem mount.
With the cash you save over the Garmin 1030, you might in all probability JUST ABOUT exit and purchase an affordable Levels/4iiii energy meter crank and you then’d have all of the bike electronics you’d almost definitely ever want.
Factette: HC stands for the inclusion of Coronary heart & Cadence sensors.
- Full, European, OSM & Tele Atlas maps and the intelligence to route you over your most popular MTB trails or roads to an tackle.
- Full STRAVA integration, together with STRAVA’s starred and native Segments (paid-for STRAVA options)
- Hyperlinks to Coaching Peaks, Endomondo and Immediately’s Plan.
- ANT+ FE-C help is said for coach management
- Smartphone name and app integration, you’ll be able to even show WhatsApp and Fb notifications if that’s your factor. It gained’t cease you crashing once you learn them while biking tho (don’t do it) 😉
- House WiFi add after you come again out of your exercise.
- Shimano Di2 digital gear compatibility
- Particular routing options like: ‘Surprise Me’, take me to an handle; round-trip; and POI routing.
The Cyclo 605 HC has acquired a BIG display. That’s SUPER-handy if you find yourself navigating and extremely helpful in case your eyesight is inferior to it was.
The Edge 1030 has the identical measurement display because the Cyclo 210HC within the following picture third from left). As you’ll be able to see the 605HC has by far the most important display. Maybe the most important of any BIKENAV?
Clearly, a smartphone is greater, aside from the smaller smartphones. Which shall be smaller. 😉
So. Let’s say it once more.
The Cyclo 605 HC has acquired a freakin’ huge display.
Once you crank up the brightness it’s additionally a reasonably good decision with good color depth.
However Mio has all the time had pretty nice-looking screens.
Controls & Contact Display
From the picture above, nevertheless, you can even see that, regardless of the interface showing to be similar to earlier fashions, the top-button on the display has gone. As an alternative, the Cyclo 605 HC now has three aspect buttons to reinforce the touchscreen.
The buttons will not be nice. They’re positive however they want a constructive press. Additionally, they’re tough to make use of with gloves on. You possibly can function the buttons with gloves however extra sticky-out, nobbly buttons would have been higher.
Speaking of the touchscreen. It’s the identical sort as utilized by the Mio Cyclo 210 (reviewed Summer time 2018) which I discovered, on the time, to be nice. Nevertheless, it’s not so nice on the 605HC when it’s both chilly or raining. It’s kinda-OK and usable in winter circumstances however could possibly be higher.
I’m not an enormous fan of touchscreens anyway, besides on my smartphone.
Mio’s ’tile-like’ interface is now beginning to look a bit bit dated nevertheless it’s completely wonderful and intuitive. In any case, when you get previous the colorful, tiled house display then Mio’s screens with maps & knowledge are broadly as standard-looking as everybody else’s screens.
The screens all make intelligent and good use of the area obtainable. For instance, upon getting completed with touching one display, the display navigation buttons disappear and the complete helpful areas of the display are re-sized to suit the complete area out there.
The map display is obvious and readable within the mild circumstances I examined it in. I had two configurable-data fields proven under the map in addition to the present route’s elevation profile. Very good.
Right here is an summary of a few of the MIO fashions. Beginning on the low-end you get the Cyclo 210 which is actually a BIKENAV that may’t hook up with any exterior sensors. Extra performance is, unsurprisingly, added as you progress up the fashions.
The 405/405HC and 605HC are very comparable being differentiated merely by the power to add by way of WiFi and the inclusion (or not) or particular exterior sensor varieties. The similarity of those three in all probability explains why they’re all just about presently being bought on Amazon on the similar worth give or take a number of Euros (Dec 2018). If the 605HC just isn’t on sale you then may as nicely go for the 405 with out dropping something too necessary, particularly should you already personal ANT+ sensors.
Let’s look in a bit extra element at a few of the noteworthy specs. Of specific curiosity, as we’ve already stated, is the super-large display measurement. And there are a consequently higher variety of pixels than the top-end Garmin Edge 1030 which is available in at 282x470px. Aside from the display you possibly can see that this can be a good lengthy record filled with goodies.
Let’s take a fast peek on the accuracy of the 605HC’s GPS and barometric altimeter.
Wanting on the following picture, the Barometric altimeter within the 605 HC seems to be correct sufficient and intently matches the top-end Garmin 935. At about 02:45 you possibly can see the three most important units begin to diverge from the right altitude and this might be because of a climate change inflicting modifications to atmospheric strain and the units considering it’s an altitude change. There’s a 50m altitude distinction initially/end location (similar place).
Observe that for those who add this knowledge to STRAVA then STRAVA will in all probability right the elevation profile in any case, so actually this knowledge is just going for use in your Cyclo system itself.
I have a tendency to not be that involved by GPS Accuracy on bike units. GPS accuracy will usually feed via into your velocity readings in addition to supplying you with a reasonably monitor of the place you’ve been after you end and look at your journey on STRAVA. However with the SPEED sensor that the 605 HC is provided with then, as soon as calibrated, velocity figures will probably be super-accurate…even by way of tunnels.
In fact, we’re coping with a navigational gadget, so getting the right location goes to be essential for that facet of the product. Nevertheless, much more importantly with navigation is the responsiveness of the BIKENAV. I’ve used correct BIKENAVs solely to seek out the system typically ineffective as a result of the system in query is underpowered (I can consider two Garmin examples of that).
I’m solely mentioning that because the Mio isn’t fairly as correct as I might have favored. Even at a excessive degree, you’ll be able to see there have been some notable deviations with the Mio.
Zooming nearer in, it’s not too dangerous however the Garmin is clearly higher on this part.
However that wasn’t all the time true on the identical journey and right here the Mio is more true to the monitor than Garmin
Bu this was a nasty part that was missed utterly. There was a good quantity of tree cowl right here IIRC.
In a extra city setting, there have been nonetheless some points.
However general I might say the Mio was correct sufficient besides within the moments of insanity that I confirmed above.
Let’s return in a minute to how this impacts on navigation
I had no main points pairing up with any ANT+ system. They have been all paired fairly shortly and, as soon as paired, could possibly be renamed.
There isn’t a sensor pool as such, so you possibly can solely have one sensor paired of every sort for every profile. Nevertheless, when re-pairing to a beforehand paired and named sensor, the 605 HC appeared to select up the identify I had beforehand given it. So there in all probability is a few behind the scenes document stored of ANT+ IDs and what you could have referred to as them and/or the names are pulled throughout from different profiles. That’s truly fairly a pleasant function for somebody like me who incessantly re-pairs units. Are you listening Garmin? That function can be good, please.
Energy meters have been capable of be calibrated.
Though the official specs cite Bluetooth/BLE connectivity, this actually means you’ll be able to solely hook up with a smartphone with BLE.
The weird bits
- To get smartphone notifications requires you to obtain the CycloSmart app. All this appears to do is present the connection to allow notifications to be handed to your telephone. I couldn’t get this to work regardless of the 605 pairing up simply sufficient. In case you are not bothered about sensible notifications while driving together with your telephone then don’t fear about this.
- The Cyclo has said FE-C compatibility which is enabled by way of a particular display (proven to the best) as soon as a suitable coach is paired. I’ve a Wahoo KICKR which might pair however I couldn’t get the KICKR to be managed throughout a exercise
- Coach help is said for: ANT+ FE-C; Elite Qubo Digital; Tacx-iGenius & Tacx Bushido
Common Platform Connectivity
We’ve already seen that there’s the CycloSmart app for smartphone connectivity.
There’s additionally the CycloAgent software program for home windows that updates your map and firmware in addition to importing your accomplished exercises on-line to the MioShare web site. The maps have been final up to date in late 2017 (over a yr in the past on the time of writing). so in case you are utilizing WiFi to add your exercises as an alternative of CycloAgent, then there isn’t a actual have to ever have to hook up with a PC/MAC.
The Mioshare web site is comparatively primary however does the job overlaying these areas
- A log of your journey historical past. there are rudimentary stats, a graph and a map of your route in addition to the power to export knowledge in GPX format.
- All of your pre-made routes/tracks are listed and these are all auto-sync’d to the Cyclo
- Create, Plan and import new routes/tracks.
- The monitor creation facility is nice, permitting you to decide on roads and tracks on your route and the routing engine usually works shortly, easily and chooses a route properly.
- The extent of different shared routes offered on-line by different Mio customers appears restricted to me. Mio would have been higher off offering route sharing with software program hyperlinks to STRAVA or RideWithGPS slightly than making an attempt to do it themselves. Thus to get a route from a good friend’s Garmin Join account to your Cyclo 605 HC gadget is a considerably tortuous course of and information uploaded out of your desktop (as a part of that course of) don’t all the time cross validation. #Annoying.
- The power to seize a monitor/route from a URL can be nice – like Hammerhead’s Karoo can seize a Google MAPS route URL.
My general view of the platform is that it’s considerably cobbled collectively moderately than sweetly built-in. I might even criticise Garmin Join with that very same brush though to not the identical diploma as I might for Mio. Your impression of Mio’s general platform will rely upon how you plan to make use of it
- In case you do little navigation and your whole evaluation on STRAVA then you’ll in all probability be unaware of Mioshare’s shortcomings
- For those who create lots of routes your self from scratch, you’ll in all probability be proud of Mioshare.
- In case you collect and re-share routes, say with pals, and wish to carry out your personal analyses in the identical piece of software program then Mioshare will in all probability not be greatest for you
I might class the on-device navigational options as ‘Good’ general. However that’s good in comparison with the competitors.
BIKENAVs, generally, want a little bit of a kickstart and for all of them up their recreation slightly. By means of an instance I might criticise the 605 HC for being a bit sluggish when loading up a 100-mile route, nevertheless, I do know from bitter expertise that fairly a couple of different BIKENAVS are MUCH slower than the Mio. I respect that navigation might be intensive on the processing energy of the BIKENAV however I simply anticipate higher (from everybody).
You’ll in all probability additionally discover that, when navigating, ALL BIKENAVs fail to stay as much as their said battery life. Within the case of the Mio 605 HC, that’s 15 hours. It’s going to in all probability be halved in case you: regularly have the display on; regularly go astray; and regularly have the map on show – the latter of which is NOT an unreasonable factor to do when navigating if you consider it! (It’s the identical for different BIKENAVSs getting used the identical approach)
So you’ll in all probability find yourself resorting to the help of an exterior battery pack. That’s high quality. However with the Mio, you’ll be able to’t cost it as you cycle in case you are utilizing a stem mount (there’s not sufficient room for the USB cable). On an out-front mount, it’s possible to cost as you cycle however you continue to have to seek out someplace to stow the battery pack and run the cable to the 605. Garmin’s answer for his or her Edge 1030 is elegant, the place the battery pack attaches beneath an out-front mount…however that shall be one other Eu100 for every additional ‘special’ Garmin-only battery pack. However, when you already navigate so much, you’ll be conscious of battery points and doubtless have already got your personal answer. Fortunately I solely undertake rare lengthy rides following routes.
Mio has a terrific set of navigation options and have put quite a lot of thought and energy into this a part of their providing.
While you’ll be able to comply with a pre-loaded route, which you’ve both created or copied from someplace, your Mio Cyclo 605 HC can also be extremely just like a automotive’s SATNAV within the sense that it could possibly direct you to all types of locations in all types of the way.
Espresso? Cake? or a alternative tyre? No issues!
Mio have some superior POIs on the Cyclo that may allow you to be directed to different locations en route. For instance, this picture exhibits the closest bike outlets, very useful when mechanical catastrophe strikes in uncharted territory.
Right here I typed in a UK postcode someplace near Buckingham Palace (why not?) a pleasant route is created and I’m introduced with this display to summarise the route forward. It’s good that it exhibits the extent of problem launched by elevation modifications (one pink mountain icon).
OK I’m not on vacation now however I are likely to go to new vacation locations annually slightly than go to the identical place yearly. One factor I’ve all the time liked concerning the Mio is its means to create spherical journeys in areas that I’m not conversant in. Within the instance proven under I can choose from the three calculated routes which might be every of a broadly comparable distance.
New Route To Work
The ‘Surprise Me’ perform appears to create an uncommon route from A to B. The ‘normal‘ route can be the quickest one so, if familiarity breed contempt, then the ‘Surprise Me’ perform would be the excellent approach to attempt a brand new path to work. There’s a point of management which you can set to restrict the space of the route.
Level on Map
One other option to enter a vacation spot is to faucet some extent on the map view and you’re directed there.
In case you are naughty sufficient to disregard the 605 HC and go off-course then the Mio has enough intelligence to have the ability to ROUTE you again to the course ie quite than pointing you in the best path or getting you to retrace your steps. It’s because, like your automotive’s satnav, this BIKENAV has full ‘understanding’ of its maps roads and trails.
Regular Routing Behaviour
The Mio Cyclo 605 HC provides greater than sufficiently clear indication of the place subsequent to show – each visually and audibly. And the on-screen route can also be fairly clear. You possibly can orientate the route based mostly in your path of journey or ‘North Up’ and there’s automated zoom performance which regulate the extent of map element, seemingly, based mostly in your velocity and proximity to the subsequent turning level.
I don’t need to dwell on the coaching options an excessive amount of as these provided by the Mio 605 HC are broadly what a ‘good training device’ ought to supply. In that sense, the Mio is just like many different units out there to you.
A few issues are value highlighting which might be particular to coaching and, in fact, these coaching options and screens may be concurrently used when you’re navigating someplace.
- Zones – you’ll be able to set HR zones based mostly on HRmax and energy zones based mostly on FTP. There are some variations on these themes too.
- Bike Profiles – you’ll be able to create quite a few bike profiles the place you specify the wheel measurement, sensors for use, GPS, zones and some different elements.
- Laps – guide, by distance or by place. the latter is uncommon/uncommon.
- Alerts – there are lots of alerts and these embrace Zone alerts, phase alerts and Di2 alerts
- Metrics – many can be found together with the standard ones plus ones comparable to phase metrics (eg KOM), Di2 metrics (eg Gear graph), and energy (eg lap common and NP, tho LAP NP is lacking).
- FE-C coach management – easy resistance management from the 605 HC.
- As much as eight fields per display with four of these varieties of screens. There are additional screens which can be customised to a level for TRAINER management, STRAVA, NAVIGATION, MAP, WORKOUT and HISTORY.
I’ve already talked about the choice of the Garmin Edge 1030. That’s considerably costlier. Attempt these too
- Polar V650 – That is in all probability a greater coaching system than the 605 HC however the 605 in all probability wins when wanting on the breadth of navigational performance and measurement of the display. A potential draw back of the V650 is that it solely helps BLE sensors ie NOT ANT+
- Hammerhead Karoo – The Hammerhead Karoo has higher administration and creation of routes and is slicker at what it does while additionally wanting cool. Nevertheless, the Karoo are behind Mio when you think about the breadth of navigational performance on the system. Additionally, the Karoo must up its recreation somewhat extra with coaching performance to match Mio.
- Garmin Edge 820 – That is technically a greater choice all-round when it comes to performance. Nevertheless, I’m not impressed with the robustness of the display nor the general velocity of the gadget. It’s additionally a a lot smaller type issue than the 605 HC
- Wahoo Elemnt – Undoubtedly a greater coaching system with a smaller display and far decrease decision. Some good hyperlinks to STRAVA and RideWithGPS although.
Consumer Guide: Mio Cyclo 605HC Guide
I just like the large-format of the 605 HC. It’s a pleasant measurement with good navigation and coaching performance on the system.
The responsiveness of the touchscreen could possibly be higher in inclement climate.
Usually, Mio is true to create a wealthy expertise on the system. Nevertheless, the platform that helps the system might seize, share and handle routes a bit bit higher. Having stated that, Mio’s customized route creation is sweet.
I used the earlier 505 HC mannequin a good quantity through the years as my foremost BIKENAV for ‘special occasions’, like holidays or one-off journeys. It navigated properly and I trusted it to get me there. From what I’ve seen to date, the 605 HC matches the 505 HC and provides a lot of fancy new bits.
So, on paper, I might have some doubts concerning the Mio. HOWEVER, the truth of utilizing the 605 HC is that these doubts shortly fade away and the Mio Cyclo 605 HC reviewed right here does a very good job with navigation and coaching.
Basic EU availability is sweet however there seems to be no USA availability in any respect. All the next hyperlinks are to the perfect costs in your native Amazon retailer and any buy there helps help this weblog, thanks.