At the moment, Nikon introduced the event of a firmware replace for Z collection mirrorless cameras, with three new main options coming quickly: RAW video output, Eye AF, and CFexpress card help. This marks one among Nikon’s largest firmware updates ever, following up on the corporate’s aim so as to add new options to the Nikon Z cameras over time (and departing from their extra restricted fashion of DSLR firmware updates). The discharge date of this replace has not but been introduced.
We already knew that the Nikon Z collection cameras would ultimately help CFexpress reminiscence playing cards; Nikon stated as a lot once they first introduced the Z6 and Z7. However, it’s good to see the replace coming so early within the Z6 and Z7’s product cycle, since CFexpress playing cards have a good larger most velocity than XQD – itself already quicker than SD or common CF playing cards as we speak.
In principle, CFexpress might be a number of occasions quicker than XQD. In apply, the quantity of enchancment is dependent upon the implementation of the playing cards in query. The quickest commercially obtainable XQD playing cards at this time have a write velocity of 400 MB/s and 440 MB/s learn velocity. No CFexpress playing cards are available on the market as of this text’s publication. Nevertheless, demonstrations of CFexpress playing cards thus far have proven write speeds from 700 MB/s to 1000 MB/s, and skim speeds as much as 1400 MB/s.
For Nikon Z shooters, the sensible advantages of CFexpress over XQD are more likely to contain the buffer. It might permit the Z6 and Z7 to seize a number of extra seconds of high-FPS capturing earlier than the buffer fills, in addition to clearing the buffer extra shortly when it’s full. The precise enhancements, nevertheless, are but to be examined.
Maybe probably the most shocking of the three new options Nikon introduced is help for RAW video utilizing particular third-party exterior recorders. Nikon particularly mentions compatibility with the Atomos Ninja V utilizing the ProRes RAW codec. The just lately introduced Ninja V is bought for $695.
For that worth, a Nikon Z6 package with the Ninja V and 24-70mm f/four lens can be able to 4K RAW video of exceptional high quality for a complete of $3295 – an impressively low worth for the options you get. Add in a gimbal, and also you’ll have some of the succesful video kits available on the market for a really affordable worth general. Many video shooters who’ve been utilizing a smaller-sensor digital camera just like the Panasonic GH5 or a Blackmagic Pocket Digital camera will discover the full-frame Nikon sensor with RAW video very tempting.
Nikon additionally introduced a Z6 filmmaker package, which incorporates the Atomos Ninja V, Moza Air 2 gimbal, and Rode VideoMic Professional+ for $4000 in late January 2019.
It’s no secret that the Eye AF function on Sony mirrorless cameras is very praised and appreciated by photographers of a variety of genres. Nikon now seems to be becoming a member of that membership with as we speak’s announcement.
Eye AF is particularly helpful for photographing portrait topics and different scenes the place individuals’s faces are seen, because the digital camera can monitor the topic’s eye as they transfer across the body (moderately than simply their face). Nikon has not stated whether or not the brand new firmware replace consists of choices like “nearest eye” and “farthest eye” precedence that some cameras have, such because the Fuji X100F.
In our evaluation of the Nikon Z7, we discovered that the digital camera had impressively good AF-S autofocus, however its monitoring capabilities with AF-C autofocus have been extra restricted and awkward to make use of. Though in the present day’s announcement doesn’t point out any broader enhancements to the Z cameras’ autofocus capabilities, this can be a clear step in the fitting course. At a minimal, it exhibits that Nikon is listening to its clients, given the damaging suggestions a few lack of Eye AF that appeared when the digital camera was launched.
As a aspect word, Canon now seems just like the odd one out among the many three main full-frame mirrorless corporations in the present day. Though Canon does have Eye AF of their EOS R digital camera, it is just out there in single-servo mode quite than steady servo. Assuming that Nikon’s is accessible in AF-C mode, it is going to be fascinating to see whether or not Canon provides this feature to the EOS R in steady servo mode or waits till saying a brand new digital camera earlier than doing so.
What Options Are Nonetheless Lacking?
The replace introduced at this time goes a great distance towards including thrilling options to the Nikon Z cameras and boosting clients’ belief that Nikon actually is planning to enhance these cameras with firmware updates. Particularly with the Eye AF announcement that instantly fixes a standard grievance, Nikon has proven that they’re listening to suggestions on the Z collection and doing what they will to make them nearly as good as attainable.
Nevertheless, Nikon’s announcement doesn’t point out updates to different parts of the digital camera, together with the recognized challenge the place it isn’t attainable to take away capturing knowledge from the rear LCD for a transparent picture preview in stay view. The Z cameras additionally don’t keep in mind their focus place after the digital camera is turned off, and one should use a workaround technique as an alternative. We have now compiled a extra detailed listing of helpful firmware updates for the Z cameras right here, based mostly on reader suggestions and our personal in depth exams.
This announcement exhibits that Nikon has completed an ideal job interested by actual options so as to add to the Z cameras over time. Hopefully they may proceed that development as they construct this technique up within the coming years.
Nikon’s full press launch, which additionally consists of particulars concerning the Nikon Z 14-30mm f/four S (additionally introduced immediately) and Nikon’s occasions at CES, is under:
Nikon Delivers Imaging Innovation, Evokes Creators at CES 2019
New Merchandise Together with NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/four S Lens and Nikon Z 6 Filmmaker’s Package Might be Showcased; Attendees Invited to Sales space to See Superb Audio system, Enjoyable & Sharable Shows as Nicely as Future Z System Updates
LAS VEGAS –CES BOOTH #14006 – At this time, Nikon Inc. introduced particulars surrounding their actions and new merchandise at CES 2019. This yr, Nikon will livestream a myriad of thrilling and galvanizing shows from famend Nikon Ambassadors and photographers instantly from the present flooring, whereas additionally providing immediately shareable and interactive experiences for present attendees. Moreover, Nikon might be displaying the newest digital imaging improvements obtainable now and within the close to future with a Z Collection exhibition that includes the brand new NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/four S lens, the Nikon Z 6 Filmmaker’s Package and a show of upgrades presently in improvement for the Z Collection that may add new options and improve usability.Sales space Actions: Livestream, Shows and Shareable Moments
Throughout CES, the Nikon sales space will host stay shows and panel discussions from numerous Nikon Ambassadors and photographers overlaying a wide selection of subjects; from capturing weddings to conservation, outside adventures to iconic rock legends and extra. Nikon may also be holding hands-on demonstrations and discussions with Nikon Ambassadors at a further stage inside the sales space. Present attendees are inspired to go to Nikon for giveaways, to talk with a product professional, or to take a look at the complete line of award-winning Nikon DSLR cameras. Whereas there, guests can even expertise the huge number of NIKKOR lenses and an assortment of different merchandise, together with the COOLPIX P1000 with its highly effective 125x optical zoom lens.
For these all over the world who need to take part, Nikon will once more be livestreaming all shows instantly from the sales space from Tuesday, January eight to Friday, January 11. To observe, please go to www.nikonusa.com/reside or www.fb.com/nikonusa. A full schedule of Nikon shows may be discovered under.
New for CES 2019
- NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/four S Lens – That is the primary ultra-wide zoom lens for the Z Mount System and the world’s first* full-frame 14mm filter-attachable lens. This new S-Line lens is right for quite a lot of capturing situations together with landscapes, interiors and structure. The 14-30mm f/four S lens is each compact and light-weight whereas delivering unimaginable sharpness and flexibility. This new lens takes full benefit of the advantages of Nikon’s new Z Mount and demonstrates superior optical efficiency that maximizes the potential of excessive pixel-count digital cameras just like the 45.7-megapixel Nikon Z 7. The NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/four S lens will probably be out there in Spring 2019 for a advised retail worth of $1,299.95**.
- Nikon Z 6 Filmmaker’s Package – For content material creators and filmmakers trying to absolutely make the most of the Nikon Z 6’s superior video capabilities, Nikon has created a brand new Filmmaker’s Package incorporating the digital camera as nicely an array of important video seize equipment. The bundle consists of: a Nikon Z 6 digital camera, NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/four S lens, Mount Adapter FTZ, Atomos Ninja V 4K HDR 5” Monitor Recorder, Rode VideoMic Professional Plus, MOZA Air 2 Three-Axis Hand-Held Gimbal Stabilizer, a further EN-EL15b battery, a coiled HDMI cable, a 12-month Vimeo Professional membership and a complimentary Nikon Faculty On-line class. The Nikon Z 6 Filmmaker’s Package might be out there in late January 2019 for a prompt retail worth of $Three,999.95**.
- Share Your Expertise from the Nikon Pop-Up Studio – CES attendees are inspired to cease by the Nikon sales space to expertise the interactive fan space, which can give show-goers the prospect to seize visually enjoyable and distinct moments to share with their very own social media followers and buddies. A choice of rigorously curated scenes will depict whimsical and colourful interactive environments that create enjoyable photograph alternatives. All nonetheless pictures and slow-motion video will probably be captured by the newest Nikon Z collection mirrorless cameras and NIKKOR lenses, delivering unimaginable picture high quality and outcomes.
The Nikon Z Collection: Upcoming Firmware on Show
The Nikon Z collection will proceed to adapt to altering consumer wants by means of the event and roll-out of firmware updates to satisfy and exceed artistic expectations. Considering suggestions from photographers and creators, Nikon will show three function updates beneath improvement that open artistic alternatives for the Z 6 and Z 7. Shows will embrace:
- CFexpress – Coming quickly to the Z 6 and Z 7 cameras is help for CFexpress, which is suitable with the XQD reminiscence card form-factor.
- Eye AF – Beneath improvement is an Eye AF perform, which can routinely detect the topic’s eyes to make attaining crucial concentrate on the eyes simpler. It’s going to permit customers to seize photographs by which focus has been clearly acquired on the topic’s eye, which is beneficial for portrait, occasion and road images situations.
- RAW Video Help – Nikon is presently creating a function that works with the ATOMOS Ninja V to output video in RAW format, utilizing the ProRes RAW codec.
Particulars, together with the discharge date of latest firmware updates, shall be shared at a later date.
Nikon Theater Presentation Schedule
The Nikon Theater will function a full schedule of inspiring and interesting photographers all through CES. Shows will probably be obtainable by way of livestream so these not attending CES 2019 can watch remotely right here: www.nikonusa.com/reside or www.fb.com/nikonusa. Shows will probably be captured utilizing Nikon cameras, NIKKOR lenses and numerous automated broadcast options from MRMC, a Nikon firm.
Day 1 – Tuesday, January eight (Present Hours: 10:00 A.M. – 6:00 P.M. PST)
- 10:45 AM- 11:15 AM: Day to Night time – Stephen Wilkes
- 11:30 AM- 12:00 PM: Adventures in Z Land – Joe McNally
- 12:00 PM- 12:30 PM: Displaying Movement with A Single Body – Kristi Odom
- 12:45 PM- 1:15 PM: Ocean’s Matter – Brian Skerry
- 1:15 PM- 1:45 PM: Flowmotion (and the significance of discovering your fashion) – Rob Whitworth
- 2:00 PM- 2:45 PM: Framing the Narrative: Images in Conservation – Panel Dialogue with Ami Vitale, Brian Skerry, James Balog
- 2:45 PM- Three:15 PM: Framing the Narrative – Ami Vitale
- Three:30 PM- four:15 PM: The Energy of Private Tasks – Panel Dialogue with Stacy Pearsall, Jen Rozenbaum, Tamara Lackey
- four:15 PM- four:45 PM: Z Footage All over the place: Journey, In – Studio and Each Day Life! – Tamara Lackey
- 5:00 PM- 5:30 PM: The Human Component: A New Imaginative and prescient of Nature – James Balog
- 5:30 PM- 6:00 PM: The right way to Wow – Jerry Ghionis
Day 2 – Wednesday, January 9 (Present Hours: 9:00 A.M. – 6:00 P.M. PST)
- 9:45 AM- 10:15 AM: A Colourful Profession in Black and White – Stacy Pearsall
- 10:30 AM- 11:00 AM: Sports activities Images: Capturing Moments from Sandlots to the Execs – Rod Mar
- 11:00 AM- 11:30 AM: Journal Portraits: Celebrities, Athletes, and the Race Towards Time – Joey Terrill
- 11:45 AM- 12:30 PM: Photographing Animals and Wildlife – Panel Dialogue with Ron Magill, Michelle Valberg, Keith Ladzinski
- 12:30 PM- 1:00 PM: Storytelling the Wild Means – Ron Magill
- 1:15 PM- 2:00 PM: Sports activities and Motion Images – Panel Dialogue with Andrew Hancock, Jen Edney, Jen Pottheiser, Rod Mar
- 2:00 PM- 2:30 PM: Artistic Storytelling in Sports activities Images – Andrew Hancock
- 2:45 PM- Three:15 PM: Discovering Your Means in Sports activities Images – Jen Pottheiser
- Three:15 PM- Three:45 PM: The Trendy Photographer – Keith Ladzinski
- four:00 PM- four:45 PM: Live performance Images: “Then and Now” – Panel Dialogue with Baron Wolman, Knight, Owyoung, Jenn Deveraux
- four:45 PM- 5:15 PM: Music Images: Low Mild, All Entry- Todd Owyoung
- 5:30 PM- 6:00 PM: My Journey into Journey Images- Jen Edney
Day Three – Thursday, January 10 (Present Hours: 9:00 A.M. – 6:00 P.M. PST)
- 9:45 AM- 10:15 AM: Wildlife Images: Creating Emotional Impression – Michelle Valberg
- 10:30 AM- 11:00 AM: Z Pleasure of Images – Matthew Jordan Smith
- 11:00 AM- 11:30 AM: Journey By means of Panorama – Taylor Glenn
- 11:45 AM- 12:30 PM: Images in Social World – Keith Ladzinski,
- 12:30 PM- 1:00 PM: Small Footprint Video Manufacturing: The Making of Morning – Corey Wealthy
- 1:15 PM- 2:00 PM: Storytelling with Movement – Video Panel Dialogue with Corey Wealthy, Chris Hershman, Keith Ladzinski, Diane Fitzmaurice
- 2:00 PM- 2:30 PM: Intimate Portraits: Therapeutic on Each Sides of the Lens – Jen Rozenbaum
- 2:45 PM- Three:15 PM: I Noticed the Music – Baron Wolman
- Three:15 PM- Three:45 PM: Filmmaking in The Music Business – Chris Hershman
- four:00 PM- four:45 PM: On the Rise – Getting Began in Images – Up and Coming-Younger Photographers – Panel Dialogue with Taylor Grey, Kiamarie Stone, Nicolas Bruno
- four:45 PM- 5:15 PM: Be Constant: Construct Your Model – Kiamarie Stone
- 5:30 PM- 6:00 PM: Wedding ceremony Day Moments Captured – Cliff Mautner
Day four – Friday, January 11 (Present Hours: 9:00 A.M. – four:00 P.M. PST)
- 9:15 AM- 9:45 AM: Photographer Speak
- 9:45 AM- 10:15 AM: Artistic Landscapes: Discovering Photographs Past the Apparent – Mandy Lea
- 10:30 AM- 11:00 AM: Relive the Moments: Documenting Life – Charmi Pena
- 11:00 AM- 11:30 AM: Exploring the Artwork of Panorama and Time- lapse Images – Taylor Grey
- 11:45 AM- 12:30 PM: The Energy of Portrait Images – Panel Dialogue with Jerry Ghionis, Charmi Pena, Dixie Dixon
- 12:30 PM- 1:00 PM: Lights, Digital camera, Trend – Dixie Dixon
- 1:15 PM- 2:00 PM: Making Dynamic Panorama Photograph s- Panel Dialogue with Mike Mezeull II, Joshua Cripps, Mandy Lea
- 2:00 PM- 2:30 PM: Why I Love Chasing Excessive Climate – Joshua Cripps
- 2:45 PM- Three:15 PM: The Wild Amongst Us – Melissa Groo
- Three:15 PM- Three:45 PM: Nature’s Fury: The Attract of Twister Alley – Mike Mezeul II
For extra info on Nikon’s newest merchandise together with new the NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/four S lens and Nikon Z 6 Filmmaker’s Package, please go to www.nikonusa.com. For extra details about Nikon’s presence at CES 2019, together with the livestreaming of shows by way of the present, please go to www.nikonusa.com/reside or www.fb.com/nikonusa