I’m in all probability not going to do a full Velocomp AeroPod Evaluate, I would wish a wind tunnel useful and different comparable merchandise with which to match AeroPod. However, that is a type of merchandise that I’m just a bit bit too enthusiastic about for my very own good. In any case, we’re speaking about FREE SPEED. All of us love free velocity.
In case you are researching a product like AeroPod then I’m assuming you’re a member of my A-Staff of readers who already principally know what it’s, so I might be temporary with the fundamentals.
AeroPod is an opposing drive energy meter producing watts from air strain and different info. It may be used simply as an influence meter, when you like.
However I’m fairly positive you’ve already acquired an influence meter 😉
As you understand, the distinction between AeroPod’s calculation of your WATTS and your different PM’s calculation of WATTS may be instantly used to provide a determine of your aerodynamic drag, or CdA. AeroPod immediately hyperlinks to your present energy meter to supply this stay & averaged CdA determine itself, then broadcasts the outcomes over ANT+.
My understanding is that the willpower of CdA was additionally attainable with the sooner Velocomp PowerPod product, albeit by way of extra convoluted means and solely after the experience had completed.
Velocomp now has a CIQ Knowledge Area to show stay CdA knowledge in your excessive-spec Garmin. The CIQ knowledge area is at present out there to obtain and set up manually (not by means of Garmin Categorical). As soon as an ANT+ normal is finalised then Velocomp will rewrite the info area and distribute it within the regular method via the CIQ retailer.
Quite a bit has modified because the earlier PowerPod product.
- Improved wind sensor
- Improved accelerometer
- New Pilot Tube design improves wind measurement, together with in crosswinds
- Quicker microprocessor with extra reminiscence
- Redesign of the calibration process
- Improved auto-calibration initially of the journey (90 seconds, vs eight minutes beforehand)
- CdA measurement is enabled
- Transmits CdA, wind, slope, and Time Benefit over ANT+
- Powerstroke, GPS Tracker and BLE compatibility are commonplace
- Full redesign of the product case
- New mount accent for “aero-shaped” bars
- Calibration journey information not recorded to keep away from confusion
Bits & Items
Right here’s what you get.
- A DFPM is required for CdA knowledge.
- You additionally NEED a wheel-based mostly ANT+ velocity sensor.
- A cadence sensor just isn’t required for CdA (however required for PowerStroke measurement)
- A HRM may be paired to AeroPod however that is NOT RECOMMENDED
Bodily Set up of AeroPod in your bike
The bodily set up onto your bike is fast and easy and requires a inflexible, metallic mount. I used one among Velcomp’s out-entrance, Garmin-suitable mounts and there are TT mounts as nicely.
The character of the sensor tube that stands proud forward of the AeroPod resolves one of many points with Velocomp’s earlier merchandise, the PowerPod. IE it avoids potential disruption of the airflow measured by the sensor due to cabling – I had that drawback earlier than when utilizing powerpod on my street bike.
The one particular factor it’s essential to do is to make sure that the tube factors very barely downwards. The mount limits how far the tube might be pointed downwards. So, push all of it the best way down.
Be sure that every little thing is tight then you’re good to maneuver to the subsequent step.
Pairing all of the sensors
You will have an ANT+ velocity sensor and a calibrated ANT+ energy meter (DFPM) for the CdA knowledge.
I used a Wahoo SPEED sensor on the entrance wheel and I had ASSIOMA DUO pedals.
A crank-mounted cadence sensor can optionally present pedal stroke info. I didn’t use one because the cadence knowledge was picked up from my PM and it’s not required in any case.
A HRM may also be paired to the AeroPod after the calibration however I didn’t particularly do this. But someway my HRM appears to have silently paired to the AeroPod. Pairing a HRM impacts what knowledge is recorded and the presentation of CdA knowledge later, so that you do NOT need to pair a HRM now, ensure you shouldn’t have a HRM close by when pairing.
Pairing Process & Particulars: I gained’t cowl the data that’s provided elsewhere with the product and on-line within the AeroPod Discussion board. The top objective is to finish up together with your AeroPod because the paired and lively PM in your Garmin however you WILL have to comply with the directions to the letter.
Issues: I had some issues pairing units which I attribute to a) being in a room filled with different ANT+ sensors [tip: do pairing in a room that is NOT full of ANT+ sensors!] and b) my Wahoo velocity sensor turning itself off too shortly [Grrrr]. Usually pairing ought to ‘just work’ however, if it doesn’t, then the LED information and restoration steps weren’t apparent.
Issues: As I found later, Wahoo velocity sensors can have a number of, repeated dropouts from the velocity sensor. This can be a Wahoo challenge.
Hassle Capturing Setup: Attempt the video above or > this doc <
Setting Up The Garmin
I created a 2-subject web page for CdA testing on my Edge 820.
I had my common 3s energy subject on the backside of the display plus the CIQ subject from Velocomp on the prime. The Velocomp knowledge area is a single subject that accommodates and shows a number of bits of knowledge, specifically; CdA, wind velocity (mph), Slope (%) and Time Benefit (sec) ie Velocomp’s CIQ area seems like four knowledge fields…however isn’t.
Observe: AeroPod receives velocity from a velocity sensor, the cadence from cadence sensor or DFPM, DFPM energy and HR. It additionally receives a ‘lap’ marker out of your Garmin.
Notice: AeroPod transmits DFPM energy, CdA, wind velocity, time benefit and slope knowledge
This takes 5-10 minutes with an out-and-again journey.
For the calibration journey, the AeroPod briefly takes over the WATTs determine, altering it to a progress %age (regardless that it nonetheless says, Watts). At 50% into the calibration experience, you flip round and head again after which maintain going previous the beginning level.
You will want to be in your regular place and can need to be going at an inexpensive or ‘normal’ velocity (>=17mph). This calibration journey will produce your baseline CdA which is then used later to let you already know if new driving positions or package are higher than the baseline.
Experience & Testing Fundamentals
The AeroPod is the one paired & lively energy meter in your Garmin.
Spin the wheel with the velocity sensor on and activate your calibrated PM. Briefly press the AeroPod button and watch it flip from flashing inexperienced to strong inexperienced. You understand what strong inexperienced means…GO!
The AeroPod itself pairs to your common PM (DFPM) and re-broadcasts the DFPM knowledge to your Garmin ie DFPM knowledge seems to return from AeroPod. I discovered there to be a slight lag within the show of Watts from the AeroPod once I in contrast it to on to the watts on my ELEMNT. I initially assumed that the AeroPod transmitted its personal calculation of energy from opposing forces – however it doesn’t.
The CdA determine that was on show didn’t adapt to my place as shortly as I anticipated and takes a number of 10s of seconds. My understanding is that there’s a 90 second averaging interval utilized by AeroPod and that it’s additional advisable that you simply carry out anybody check for at the very least three minutes on the very least to get significant figures.
It will appear smart that you’d need to carry out any exams in a state of affairs as shut as potential to this: flat street (<three% grade); clean street; >5 minutes lengthy experience; no wind or, no less than, constant wind; no visitors; and on the similar energy degree – that’s tough should you stay in London.
The CIQ knowledge area is presently a show-solely subject. ie not one of the AeroPod knowledge is written again into the FIT file recorded by your Garmin.
Press ‘lap’ in your Garmin and that ‘lap’ can also be despatched to the AeroPod and recorded on the AeroPod. This simply locations a ‘marker’ within the file so that you wouldn’t have to do it. Nevertheless, later evaluation is made simpler for those who press ‘lap’ throughout your experience. Alternatively, you possibly can bodily begin and cease on the finish of every check (which you’ll typically do in any case to regulate or change your package) after which the zero pedalling/zero watts within the file on the finish will mark the checks identical to a lap would.
I don’t assume it makes that a lot distinction in the event you wait till you’re ‘up to speed’ and ‘in position’ earlier than urgent the ‘lap’ button.
Presently, your knowledge evaluation can be in Velocomp’s Isaac software program (v4.1.1). Model 5 is due quickly which provides comparable analytical performance to v4 however provides new system upkeep choices eg the power to replace AeroPod Firmware.
Isaac is important to evaluation, a minimum of till CdA knowledge turns into built-in into the FIT File/ANT+ commonplace.
The primary areas you’ll use Isaac for will probably be 1) knowledge manipulation & 2) CdA evaluation
It’s possible it would be best to mix your Garmin FIT file together with your AeroPod IBR file. Right here’s what I did (certainly not is all of this crucial)
- Loaded the IBR file instantly into Isaac, utilizing the USB cable
- Used Match File Restore Software to right the elevation monitor on the Garmin’s FIT file
- Used Match File Restore Device to right gaps within the velocity monitor from the velocity sensor utilizing GPS factors
- Used Match File Restore Software to transform Garmin’s FIT file to a TCX file (Garmin Join also can do that)
- Loaded the TCX file into Isaac, overwriting velocity, DFPM energy and elevation
On the finish of the manipulation you get a reasonably simple journey chart with information as proven under (and extra metrics, not proven). The one uncommon a part of this chart is the white ‘speed’ line within the prime graph. The blue vertical strains, picture under, point out the extent of the tailwind or if the blue strains go up, the headwind. No CdA information is proven at this stage. (Though that’s technically not true, if no HRM is paired then the HR graph will present CdA)
- Utilizing Isaac, I manually added laps in my first experience to visually assist determine my ‘tests’ as I didn’t press ‘lap’.
- Instruments > CdA Evaluation is the place the evaluation is completed. And you will get a chart like this
- The lap markers are merely guides for you. After you choose a variety as proven with the vertical blue bar then the CdA for that interval seems within the prime left-hand nook (zero.324 is proven above)
- Different measures are displayed as separate graphs, for instance, I included the TIME ADVANTAGE chart which exhibits how a lot time your present place/package mixture saved or misplaced in comparison with your baseline.
- The outcomes from my first journey’s value of checks are additional under
So, that’s the overview of the method you undergo. You possibly can check for the consequences of modifications to place or modifications resulting from new package like tighter clothes or respectable wheels or a foolish helmet (I’ve one). When you’ve got the right baseline configuration on one bike then you shouldn’t need to do a ‘straw man’ experience or calibration every time to set an concept of your base place, you simply go together with the brand new package and see what occurs. You possibly can calibrate every time if you wish to however calibration is absolutely for whenever you change your AeroPod onto a brand new bike (totally different bike profiles could be saved, not examined)
Your final, finish objective from wanting on the aerodynamics of your place will not be what you think about. For instance, you may discover a tremendous-environment friendly aero place however solely have the ability to maintain it successfully for a minute…and that’s clearly not going to be of any use for endurance athletes. OK, you possibly can practice your self right into a sure place to a sure diploma however finally, identical to together with your bike match, you’re most usually going to be concentrating on some kind of ‘optimal’ or ‘trade-off’ place.
Equally, you may discover that going from HOODS to DROPS may solely be very barely extra aero for you in your street bike. then it’s a must to query whether or not or not it’s value doing that.
However, virtually everybody who has acquired this far will simply know that they’re HEAPS quicker on their TT bike in comparison with their street bike although, to some, it might be uncomfortable. Everyone knows these aero financial savings are big. So in case you don’t actually purchase into aero positive factors then now’s the time to see for your self, borrow a TT bike and don your tightest lycra and maybe borrow a good friend’s foolish helmet.
My final private objectives are twofold 1) effective-tune what I feel is already a superb oly-distance TT place 2) uncover extra substantial street bike aero enhancements constructing on an inefficient place that I selected solely as a result of it retains me damage-free. Though technically, I assume that makes it environment friendly…you realize what I imply.
However in the present day’s first journey was extra about proving all of it works and getting one thing a minimum of vaguely significant to put in writing about right here.
I repeated an out-and-again experience with a notable pause earlier than every out and every again. I waited for visitors to clear and make any package changes which may have been essential. Plus I clearly waited for anybody who may probably overtake me to undergo first 😉 I selected a 2km stretch between Roehampton Gate and Robin Hood Gate in Richmond Park, it’s just lately resurfaced and principally flat with little visitors. I went at a sub-FTP tempo someplace between reasonably arduous and onerous -so that I might repeat it evenly about 10 occasions.
Package: Cervelo S3, Shimano C60 (50mm rim) aero wheels, Specialised Evade aero ROAD helmet. Edge 820 +others. The bike match is a ‘comfort fit’ and never aggressive.
Every run was about three-four minutes lengthy and, I later came upon that that is actually too brief and its greatest to do a 5 to six-minute journey. Nevertheless, as I had accomplished an out and again in the identical place then 2 a lot of three-four minutes was truly fairly smart to make use of.
Listed here are the run circumstances and the ensuing CdA values
- Run 1 & 2: on the bars – tremendous inefficient (.411 & .369)
- Run three & four: cruising on the hoods, sustainable place for hours (error & .400)
- Run 5 & 6 – aggressive on the hoods, forearms close to horizontal. Sustainable however not for greater than an hour or two. (.396 & .346)
- Run 7 & eight – drops, sustainable and comparatively snug place for over an hour (.331 & .368)
- Run 9 & 10 – drops, aggressive with all superfluous bits of motorcycle package eliminated, no gloves, zip pulled proper up and with goggles. Acutely aware effort to get low and maintain elbows in. Maybe sustainable for 10-20 minutes at greater energy ranges. (.323 & .326)
Clearly, the drag figures are enhancing because the checks progress and it’s a disgrace run three didn’t work out. However, so what? Do I practice to take care of that basically aggressive place? Or do I purchase some extra, even tighter, lycra?
Let’s refer again to the experience chart from above (repeated, under)
- Going from left to proper, over time, I adopted more and more extra aero positions and the blue TimeAdv chart on the backside exhibits the growing period of time I save on this place in comparison with my baseline positions. The Time Benefit chart could possibly be improved however its readability is probably not helped with there being a slight drawback with my calibration journey which impacts this chart.
I gained’t clarify it any extra however the chart is ‘indicative’. To me, this chart exhibits that I DO achieve maybe 15-20 seconds by happening to the drops in comparison with an aggressive ‘hoods’ place ON THIS RIDE. Adopting an much more aggressive drops place additionally make a notable distinction however it’s able that I actually can’t keep on the sorts of lengthy rides I do with this bike.
My second journey was 2x 30-minute routes making an attempt to evaluate an aggressive hoods place vs my most popular/snug drops place.
- First Check (Snug Drops) – 34:34 minutes CdA – zero.445
- Second Check (Aggressive Hoods) – 33:32 minutes CdA – zero.433
Visitors circumstances different fairly a bit from one journey to the subsequent, though a great 30 minutes of every journey was visitors free.
I moved the lean of the AeroPod barely earlier than the journey. Which will invalidate the outcomes and should have made the CdA a lot larger than on the preliminary calibration.
The outcomes have been inconclusive. However they’ve prompted me to examine once more whether or not or not it’s value me driving on the drops for this sort of experience.
- Utilization in a velodrome would offer even higher circumstances
- What do the LEDs imply? Reply: hyperlink to velocompforum.com
- Reset AeroPod: Press button and maintain it constantly for 12 seconds (not four)
- Velocomp/Isaac PedalStroke info shouldn’t be obtainable from the cadence provided by your energy meter.
- Wind angle isn’t measured
- Presently, till the ANT+ CdA normal is finalised, stay CdA is written to the guts price subject. If a HRM is current and paired then, as an alternative, HR shall be recorded
- This could be a useful gizmo to see the consequences of drafting in group driving. I’ll have to consider that a bit extra.
- Why AeroPod? – the primary advantage of AeroPod over the competitors is which you could truly purchase it NOW. We’ll in all probability see over 5 merchandise hit the market all through 2019, perhaps extra. I think that CdA merchandise have restricted markets specifically; coaches, fanatics and professionals. The fanatic market have to be extra worth delicate and AeroPod, to me, appears to be coming in at a wise degree.
- Will the PRO market be ‘more accurate’? I’ve no concept. I’d think about different merchandise can be usually costlier and shortly worth themselves out of any type of quantity enterprise.
- Velocomp state two particular advantages: they’ve elementary patents with elements of this know-how (and certainly licence some to rivals already). Their product can be used as a transportable, 2nd energy meter so that you can swap between rides (a legitimate level however with a restricted variety of customers)
- Setup and Calibration – Might be simplified
- Experience utilization – Usually good
- Evaluation – Good and could be improved
- Profit – Real free velocity, when you’ve got the time and inclination to check and re-check (FWIW: I do).
Isaac appears a strong piece of software program and it takes some time to get used to it. It’s notably highly effective when used for knowledge manipulation. Nevertheless, the CdA evaluation is barely extra convoluted than I anticipated and never as central to the ‘experience’ as I might have anticipated.
I want to see effort durations mechanically recognized as laps based mostly on energy output (ie with no button press in any respect). Or, if that’s not potential, then at the least a default common of the CdA/Time Common figures ought to be offered for every lap, maybe being offered in tabular format. Such a desk of outcomes would in all probability additionally profit from an annotation software the place outcomes and check circumstances might be defined for future consideration, though there’s an present annotation function. Perhaps that may include future software program variations and, even when not, as soon as CdA requirements are agreed, the info will be capable of be extra readily analysed elsewhere, for many who need to do this. The underside line is that there clearly is a few FREE SPEED available, you simply need to be prepared to take a position time into exams and into the AeroPod platform.
- Q: Is it value it?
- A: Are new, rather more costly, however barely extra aero, wheels value it?
As at 17Nov, AeroPod is at present $399 at PowerMeterCity (usually $499) and there’s a additional 10% off with my code, as proven under. PowerMeterCity is generally a nicely priced choice.
Use the 10% coupon (the5krunner10) at PMC.
Supporters: I’m not a salaried journalist and depend on help from readers to maintain the free content material coming. If you wish to help the work right here then advert-free subscription begins at 49p (about 65c). Alternatively shopping for something from my companions, under, additionally helps and may additionally get you an excellent low cost. Thanks!